65 hurst shifter help

-

Don K

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda with 4 speed and hurst shifter. It has a lot of play in it, so would like to rebuild it. All the kits I'm finding are for 66 and later. Is there a difference? If so any one know were I can get a kit, or do I need to update to a newer shifter.
Thanks

There mopar kit says 66 and up.
By your own admission, you're not sure if it's different or not. So give him a shout- he'll know. Like most vendors, he's got a LOT more stuff than what they can put on a website. Personal contact is a good thing.

There mopar kit says 66 and up.
Just call Scott at Shifter Doctor. He will be able to help you. Since he was not too far from me I took my shifter, linkage and shift arms down to him and he determined that they were not correct. He rebuild the shifter and supplied new linkage and shift arms and it now shifts rock solid.

I have a 67 with the bench Hurst.
I bought a rebuild kit from Brewer's iirc, and will be pulling it apart and verifying it is the correct kit. My Hurst does not have a bolt on or slide in handle, the handle is part of the shifter.

I'll let you know how it turns out if yours is the same.

On another note, my shifter was a little sloppy, however when I pulled it I realized the mounting plate was loose.

Most of the parts are the same. Get new shim kit, shifter sleeve, new washers and clips, and lower dust cover. Take it apart, clean everything up, grease, and torque everything to spec.

On second thought, torque everything to spec first including linkage. They are usually very tight shifters.

Check you linkage & linkage arms to make sure they are not worn out due to the plastic bushings wearing out & not being replaced. You can get "Oilite" (trade name) bushings that will help if you have oblong holes on the arms.

For 1965 Mopar bought shifters from Hurst but, most likely to save money, chose to make their own shift rods which are smaller diameter than Hurst Rods. 1966 and up used Hurst rods. The 1965 rods are Mopar parts hence the reason Hurst does not list them. I'm installing a 1968 4 speed into my 65 Barracuda and adapting my 1965 Shifter and rods to it using bushings at the shift levers. I bought levers and bushings from Brewer's. I haven't finished it yet but that's my plan

66-67 used an Inland Shifter, still using MOPAR rods and arms. Do you have a picture of your 68 Hurst shifter? If you use the 2298 Hurst mounting plate, your 65 linkage should work.

-
Back