65 promotional car?? test car? HELP

-

sgd128

Reaction score
I stopped and looked at a 1964/65 dart sitting on the side of the road today for sale..its rough BUT i take the # and leave a message the old guy calls me back Tells me its a factory test car or something...Its a V-8 a/t 5 lug wheel ready for this part?? Its a FOUR door..it did have some kinda sticker type thing on the dash..so i say well how much?? Thinking to myself maybe i'll give 500 maybe..he tells me that he turned down 15,000..not 1500 BUT 15K now is this someting i should go look at alittle better or does this old dude just need someone to talk to..???

Did you have a good convo? V8 4 door does not sound all that crazy for 64. First year for the 273 in one. Uses the same k member as a /6 just special mounts. At least that is what I know of it. Unless it's a big block, then that's a different batch of apples.

He was i nice ol'dude but ..it was just a cool old car..

I think i would pop the hood , check out the motor and see what that dash board plate has to say . you never know it may be something......are you sure of the year, the earlier darts had some cool stuff; big blocks ,cross rams etc.

Well, if he's turned down 15 K, I'd have to figure he really doesn't want to sell it.
Me, I think I would have to ask if he would share some of whatever he's smokin!
It would be interesting to see that plate on the dash, but more interesting to see the vin plate and fender tag and run the numbers past Galen Govier. Stranger things have happened than to have some sort of prototype get sold, but I would be very doubtful without better proof than the old guy's story. Of course, sometimes it's just fun to yak at those guys and just smile and nod and be agreeable. Ya never know - he might be smokin' some really good stuff!

I think i go do a little better look see..Plus he was drinking not smoken...he did say proto type...

Just about anything was possible from Mopar back then 60's. You could go to a dealer and basicly put together any combination of car and motor you wanted as long as the parts were being made. We had a big buyer/ seller of Mopars own a 1 of 1 built in 64. Dodge with 4 doors, white, bench seat, 4 speed, and a hemi. He sold it for $250,000. He has a early 70's, I'm not sure of year, Cuda convertable with a Hemi and 4 speed matching numbers car in his show area right now. He is very big into one of a kind or low numbers built cars. He has owned several of Sox and Marton cars. He put on a car show last summer and had Ronnie their in person. Also had Don Goether, Judy Lily, Dick Hale and some others there to mingle in crowd and sign autographs. He sold the He Haw Hemi Dodge car to Roy Clark the singer a few years ago. This guy built it and raced it in Pro Mod before Roy bought it.

If I was you I would for sure check all the numbers etc on this car. It could be real.

If the cars build date is after the mid December 1963 it is a production V8 car.

The vin # should start with a "V" for V8 Valiant.

In 1964 there was almost 5,000 4 door V8 Valiants built.
'
There were over 1,100 V8 wagons,and over 6,000 V8 Signets,
{including convertible.}

There were also 2 door sedan V8 cars.

1964,followed by 1965 saw over 200,000 Valiant built each year,
with many models to choose from,LOL.

2549elks_and_Alexis_and_other_032-med.jpg

I ran into a guy I knew in high school the other day. He owns a tow truck now. We got talking and he starts telling me about this guy near here that has the Cuda prototype. Some old guy too who swears this thing is a the Cuda prototype, so my friend says. My friend claims to have seen it, but doesn't really know Mopars. He says the old guy has a 1920's Bugatti sitting behind it too!

He told me where to go, when I have a day off I'll be going there, it's about 20 minute drive from my place, but I suspect it's more likely the old man's prototype cuda, not Mopars prototype!

So today was the day. Obviously, it wasn't a prototype. It was a nice '67 Barracuda notchback, needs a little fixing up. I'd buy it in a second so I talked to the guy, but he's not selling. I told him I'll drive my '65 up there in the summer.

The Bugatti is a 1930's Bugatti kit car on a VW frame. What else!

Yeah, for sure. He said he needs an idler arm and can't seem to find one. I should find him one and bring it to him, that could win him over a little and if nothing else would at least help another Mopar guy out.

65s said:
Yeah, for sure. He said he needs an idler arm and can't seem to find one. I should find him one and bring it to him, that could win him over a little and if nothing else would at least help another Mopar guy out.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=RCR&mfrpartnumber=20218&parttype=63&ptset=A

Rare Parts Idler Arm:

Part Number: 20218

Our Price: $154.99 :(

This product fits the following vehicles - click on a vehicle to see detailed engine information.

DODGE back to top
1967 DART

PLYMOUTH back to top
1967 BARRACUDA
1967 VALIANT

**** yeah, he said it's a one year only part! He wasn't kidding! I'm not that generous.....

-
Back