'442 horizontal or '443 vertical pins?

• 443 vertical

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
lots of discussion about the 'Formula S' badge on the front fenders. 2579442 has horizontal studs, 2579443 ('66-) has vertical studs as only difference. Seems every place that sells the '65-68' repop is the 2579443 model but we got the side by side pins. Can owners of the 65's chime in and tell us what style they have? Seems 2 '65 literature sources call out the 443 part, one of them is dated 9/64! No need to remove, just feel behind the fender for horizontal or vertical nuts. Also give us the build date if possible too. My 4-1-65 build date had horizontal pin 442's. The diff is a slight blow of the '442s to follow the curved '65 fender but its so slight that a flat 443 would fit with the slightest gap on top and bottom. '442 still had a slight gap. Thanks!

lots of discussion about the 'Formula S' badge on the front fenders. 2579442 has horizontal studs, 2579443 ('66-) has vertical studs as only difference. Seems every place that sells the '65-68' repop is the 2579443 model but we got the side by side pins. Can owners of the 65's chime in and tell us what style they have? Seems 2 '65 literature sources call out the 443 part, one of them is dated 9/64! No need to remove, just feel behind the fender for horizontal or vertical nuts. Also give us the build date if possible too. My 4-1-65 build date had horizontal pin 442's. The diff is a slight blow of the '442s to follow the curved '65 fender but its so slight that a flat 443 would fit with the slightest gap on top and bottom. '442 still had a slight gap. Thanks!

I like it Thanks

Pishta, Thanks for posting this, I had no idea there were two styles. My '65 FS was built 12/14/64, and has the 2579442 FS emblems. Now I'm bummed because I believed correct reproductions were available, I really don't want to drill new holes in my fenders!

Pishta, Thanks for posting this, I had no idea there were two styles. My '65 FS was built 12/14/64, and has the 2579442 FS emblems. Now I'm bummed because I believed correct reproductions were available, I really don't want to drill new holes in my fenders!
Can you recondition the ones you have?

Pits in the S in both sides. By the time I pay for plating and paint them, I might as well drill the holes. Really irritating, this is one part I thought I could just buy new.

Pits in the S in both sides. By the time I pay for plating and paint them, I might as well drill the holes. Really irritating, this is one part I thought I could just buy new.

That's the pits, sorry i had to do it :)
I'm a few days from receiving a used 443 and I'm going to set it on the fender and feeler guage it to see the stand off from the fender curve for giggles. I'm so far away from needing them at this point it should give me the info I'm looking for.

Until you can find the proper ones in good shape, buy the later ones, grind off the pins, and glue them on if you don't want to drill new holes.

Until you can find the proper ones in good shape, buy the later ones, grind off the pins, and glue them on if you don't want to drill new holes.
That's not a bad idea. I'll bet there are plenty of automotive adhesives that could work.

I picked up reproduction 1965 Formula S badges from Laysons a few years back but can’t seem to find them listed now. Might be worth a call to see if they have a few more.

It would be cool to reposition the pins on the badge with some innovative thinking and high strength adhesive. Maybe some 3D printing adapter to move the pins. Just thinking outside the box for an old dude.
Ok I'm getting carried away, ill get back in my corner.

I've got a vertical pin 443 sitting on my desk. It is as flat as all of my horizontal pin emblems...
Hello Jim, i hope all is well with you guys.
I'm still playing with (collecting parts) for the dart convertible i got from you, amongst other projects.
Are your horizontal pin badges #442?
Do they have any pitch to the back like the ones
Pishta shown in pictures earlier? This is becoming quite an adventure in badge Olympics ;)

Mine are toast too, one S has its plating crazed and the other is pitted, both rims are pitted. I'm going to end up filling the pits with high build primer and making a plaster mold to cast these in AL when my smelter comes so I can polish them and paint to match.

Mine are toast too, one S has its plating crazed and the other is pitted, both rims are pitted. I'm going to end up filling the pits with high build primer and making a plaster mold to cast these in AL when my smelter comes so I can polish them and paint to match.
I'd like to see that happen if you document the process. I think its cool to see craftsmanship in motion. I'm subscribed.

Pewter may be a better material as it is lower temp than AL.

<< UPDATE >>

My online catalog reference that I said had no numerical reference to the horizontal post '442 part....actually does! And it supports the '442 part being for a '65. That part of the case is closed then. This number does not exist in numerical index of this catalog....? Look at revision date of March '66.....

FormulaS.jpg

Hello Jim, i hope all is well with you guys.
I'm still playing with (collecting parts) for the dart convertible i got from you, amongst other projects.
Are your horizontal pin badges #442?
Do they have any pitch to the back like the ones
Pishta shown in pictures earlier? This is becoming quite an adventure in badge Olympics ;)

I'll have to look in the pile of parts to see if I can even find a horizontal emblem. I know that I had some, but I also know that I have sold some. I'm not real sure which ones are on my son's Barracuda and that car is kinda hard to get to, but that may all change real soon.

I don't know if you saw, but I did get the Barracuda running (not driving yet) in May. Video on You Tube page (1968GTSJimLusk).

-
Back