66 Barracuda drum to disc conversion

-
Reaction score
I own a 66' Barracuda and I want to switch those old drums into all around disc brakes.

I was looking into buying a set kit, so that I can put it in myself. Most likely power instead of manual with the booster.

I found this kit, that seems to be the best option at this point. Do you guys have any recommended brands or are selling any front & rear disc brakes that can fit?

Screenshot_20230621_093649_Brave.jpg

I would look at piratejacks.... i just got my kit, best price i found and free shipping

IMO, rear discs aren't worth the money unless you're racing. If you want to keep the 4" bolt pattern, the factory Kelsey Hayes disc brakes are an easy bolt on.

like others mentioned i'd skip the discs unless you're going to autocross/track the car.

deciding on keeping the small bolt pattern or going to the big bolt pattern is kind of the king pin of this whole swap. keep in mind if you go BBP up front, you have to upgrade the rear as well. BBP has more options in wheel selection and choices in brakes.

another consideration, especially when upgrading to an aftermarket kit, is parts availability. also note that some aftermarket small bolt kits do not fit 14" wheels

if you're going BBP, my vote would be for the dr. diff 10.95" kit. 10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)

like others mentioned i'd skip the discs unless you're going to autocross/track the car.

deciding on keeping the small bolt pattern or going to the big bolt pattern is kind of the king pin of this whole swap. keep in mind if you go BBP up front, you have to upgrade the rear as well. BBP has more options in wheel selection and choices in brakes.

another consideration, especially when upgrading to an aftermarket kit, is parts availability. also note that some aftermarket small bolt kits do not fit 14" wheels

if you're going BBP, my vote would be for the dr. diff 10.95" kit. 10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1)
Well i plan to get modern rims, 17 or 18. And you dont think the price difference between front & rear disc kit, is about the same as front kit and new drum & rotor ?

You're looking at changing to a different rear axle assembly, having a custom axle shaft made for the 7 1/4, or, wheel adapters. I'm not even sure someone makes a disc kit for a 7 1/4....

You're looking at changing to a different rear axle assembly, having a custom axle shaft made for the 7 1/4, or, wheel adapters. I'm not even sure someone makes a disc kit for a 7 1/4....
Hmm. I didnt know they didnt make 7¼ rear disc kits. I think that settles me going with the the front disc and keeping the rear drum.

I do plan on converting to 8¾ but most likely later in the future.

Well i plan to get modern rims, 17 or 18. And you dont think the price difference between front & rear disc kit, is about the same as front kit and new drum & rotor ?
this changes everything. going to a modern rim basically requires the swap to be BBP.

the front is not terribly involved, kits and parts are out there making the job straight forward.

out back it's not a simple process of just a new set of drums. you'll at minimum need to change your axles, which that's a whole ball of wax. better to upgrade the entire axle assembly.

while you could probably track down a 7.25 rear in BBP, my advice would be to upgrade to another axle-- 8.25, 8.75, 8.8 or 9" (gasps, clutches pearls)

at any rate, going discs on the rear isn't going to gain you anything that drums don't offer for street driving.

Finding a '73-6 A-body 7 1/4 rear end with the big bolt pattern shouldn't be all that hard to find.....finding a good one might be though. It would at least be a bolt-in without having to change the driveshaft or anything else back there except obviously for the wheels. And no, you can't just swap the later axle shafts into your '66 7 1/4. They use different axle bearings. I'd just bite the bullet and get a heavier duty rear with the bolt pattern and gear ratio you want and not mess with a 7 1/4. What sort of horsepower are you going to put through it?

Finding a '73-6 A-body 7 1/4 rear end with the big bolt pattern shouldn't be all that hard to find.....finding a good one might be though. It would at least be a bolt-in without having to change the driveshaft or anything else back there except obviously for the wheels. And no, you can't just swap the later axle shafts into your '66 7 1/4. They use different axle bearings. I'd just bite the bullet and get a heavier duty rear with the bolt pattern and gear ratio you want and not mess with a 7 1/4. What sort of horsepower are you going to put through it?
Yeah i was also thinking of changing the entire rear from a newer A- body like you said but haven't had any luck.

As for the hp, most likely a 450-500 max.

I think for now, ill keep the drums back in small and maybe out an adapter for it.

I recommend a Ford 9" over the 8 3/4 as people think they are made of gold now, plus parts are cheaper for the 9" and available everywhere. Not to mention they are stronger.

I would look at piratejacks.... i just got my kit, best price i found and free shipping
Good choice I paid about $450 a few yrs ago for a rear 8 3/4 kit. If you are doing SBP, pirate Jack instructions says 14 wheels won't work.
The instructions are good, and there is an excellent trouble shooting guide. I recommend Dr Diff master cyl kit with adapter, and an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear brake line

At Speedway Motors now for the Ford 9":

At Speedway Motors now for the Ford 9":

Jesus that is CHEAP.... wtf.. i paid like 200 to redo my 60 year old drums :( grrr

Jesus that is CHEAP.... wtf.. i paid like 200 to redo my 60 year old drums :( grrr
i just ordered a 9" for a project from speedway. end to end with a 3.70 posi and discs was under 3K shipped

client said, what are the mopar guys gonna say? i told him nobody will see it. and if they're under there lookin' at it and say something, give 'em a kick in the *** while they're on their hands and knees.

Yeah i was also thinking of changing the entire rear from a newer A- body like you said but haven't had any luck.

As for the hp, most likely a 450-500 max.

I think for now, ill keep the drums back in small and maybe out an adapter for it.
No way that 7 1/4 will hold up with that sort of horsepower. I'd be a bit worried about an 8 1/4 too. You may want to look at a Jeep or Ford disc brake rear if you don't want to spring for an 8 3/4 A-body Mopar rear.

It has a stock 7 ¼, and preferably change to a 4.5 bolt pattern, since its more common with modern wheels
Then I'll assume you've got 9" drums. Dr. Diff offers conversion axles for your rear, with new 5x4.5 drums (if you want them): Mopar Axle Pkg 7 1/4" A-Body 5X4 1/2" Bolt Pattern (pair)
So for power four wheel discs, 4.5" bolt circle, you're looking at:
Front disc conversion with ball joint adapters, hoses, 4Wdisc distribution block, 15/16 master cylinder 10.95" Front Disc Brake Kit (Stage 1) - $905.00
Rear disc conversion kit with new parking brake cables Mopar 10.7" Rear Disc Brake Kit - $700.00
7 1/4 conversion axles with 3" studs for disc brakes Mopar Axle Pkg 7 1/4" A-Body 5X4 1/2" Bolt Pattern (pair) - $298.00
Booster, brackets and linkage Bendix Style Dual Diaphragm Booster for Mopars- $300.00
New front hard lines Mopar Front Brake Line Selector for A/B/E Body - $85.00
Grand total for the basics: $2,288.00
The kit you are looking at is $1755.00 just for the front...
And to be honest, that $300 for the axles would go a long way towards a better 8 1/4 rear or an Explorer 8.8; which if you shop wisely would come with 3.5x/3.7x gears, limited slip and disc brakes, which in turn saves you the $700 for the rear disc kit... 8.8 swap

-
Back