66 Barracuda Formula S - Performance indicator instead of Tach?

-
Disc brakes were not part of the Formula S package, they were optional.

:eek:ops: I made an error . . . I corrected it. Good catch.

The point I was trying to make was that the performance indicator wasn't part of the Formula S package.

My 66 Formula S doesn't have the console and I have had people argue with me that it absolutely positively should be there.

If you have a car with Formula S badging and it has a 120 MPH speedo, 5 (or less) leaf springs, performance indicator, and no fender tag . . . . you will have a problem passing it off a a true "S" car.

Mine is a non- Formula S car with the commando engine and 4 speed with 8 3/4 rear end.

It came with a 150 mph speedo as part of the commando engine option but also came with a performance indicator.

From all things I have read, all S cars should have come with a tach.

Mine is a non- Formula S car with the commando engine and 4 speed with 8 3/4 rear end.

It came with a 150 mph speedo as part of the commando engine option but also came with a performance indicator.

From all things I have read, all S cars should have come with a tach.

Correct. My old 66 (lilcuda's car) was equipped like yours, but does have the tach.

Well actually I’m not 100% sure but I do own a 66 formula s and I’m pretty sure they didn’t even come with the tachometer option and just the performance gauge. Correct me if I’m wrong Cause I’m just 16 and I’ve just learned stuff from my uncle and researched things.

Well actually I’m not 100% sure but I do own a 66 formula s and I’m pretty sure they didn’t even come with the tachometer option and just the performance gauge. Correct me if I’m wrong Cause I’m just 16 and I’ve just learned stuff from my uncle and researched things.
Yes they did offer a tach in 66

This reminds me of the time I left my former 66 Barracuda, slant six/auto, with my auto painter son-in-law for a fresh paint job. After he painted it, he delivered it to me, complaining, "something's wrong with the tachometer!" Huh? I says, what tachometer?

He thought the vacuum gauge was a tachometer.

If the tach was "standard equipment"...

does that preclude a vac gauge from being an option?

Like a "standard" bucket and console interior on a Coronet R/T/500 or Satellite/GTX could have had an "optional" buddy seat/arm rest specified.

If the tach was "standard equipment"...

does that preclude a vac gauge from being an option?

Like a "standard" bucket and console interior on a Coronet R/T/500 or Satellite/GTX could have had an "optional" buddy seat/arm rest specified.
Don't know where you'd put the Performance Indicator if you had the factory Tach - no room on the dash

In it's place.

Same as they did when someone ordered the optional buddy seat instead of the standard console.

My 66 Formula S had 150 mph speedo and tach. It now has a Performance Indicator because I preferred a different tach. The original tach and "can" is stored away.

Yes they did offer a tach in 66
Yup, and it was part of the Formula S package. Optional on other V8 models. Has anyone ever had a '66 slant 6 with a tach? I've owned over 20 of them and have seen hundreds, but, never saw a S6 with a tach. Probably would need a different tach control unit setup for a 6 cyl.

-
Back