66 Dart questions

-

carcrazyguy

Reaction score
How hard is it to change a 66 Dart from a /6 3 speed manual on the column to a 318/340/360 4 speed in the floor?? Of course I know I would need the motor and trans. :) Do you have to change the K member? Does the 73-75 model A body disc brake set-ups interchange?? How about the later 73-75 8 1/4 rear ends do they bolt in??

I did the same thing to my 66 art. I made my own mounts, and didn't have to change the k memeber. For the 4 speed you will need the hump from a 63-66 a body. I am not too sure about the disc brakes

The 66 K-member is the same for both /6 and V8 engines. The only thing you'll need to look for is the droped center link in the steering system, since some, but apparently not all, /6's came with the drop. Any of the period V8 motor mounts will work, you just need a spacer on the driver's side motor mount. The other thing that's crucial for the switch is the exhaust manifolds, since they're kind of a different setup with a huge curve in the driver's side manifold to clear the steering gear and starter. There are also headers available for this setup. $$$$. :) You'll also need all the V8 transmission setup, wether you go manual or auto.

The 73 + disk brake setup will work if you change the upper control arms. You'll also need the spindles, rotors, master cylinder, and proportioning valve. The 8.25" rear end from another A body is virtually a drop in, just make sure you get the complete brake setup with it, from the backing plates out. Also get the spring mounting pads since the axle tubes are bigger on the 8.25" than on the current 7.25".

Have a look at my CarDomain site and you can get a look at the center link I mentioned, and also the car type oil pan you require, as well as the left side motor mount. Good luck.

As previously mentioned you'll need the dropped center link. They were found on 64/65 V-8s and I've been told on all 66's whether slant or V8. I haven't been able to confirm that for myself though. Also motor mount brackets are slightly different for the 340/360 than for the 273/318. Schumacher makes the proper 340/360 mounts to use with the 64-66 K frame (I've got 2 sets in prep for swapping a 340 into my 65 Dart GT convert and 65 Dart wagon)

As previously mentioned you'll need the dropped center link. They were found on 64/65 V-8s and I've been told on all 66's whether slant or V8.

I am not too sure about that as I had to change mine on the 66 Dart

Just for clarities sake - with the 8 1/4 axle you need the shock plates, these are the pieces that the U bolts go thru, they sit underneath the springs, as mentioned the axle tubes are larger on the 8 1/4 vs the 7 1/4 axle. One other thing, the early darts used a unique flywheel and bell housing, they are smaller than the later model A bodies, The later model A bell housings are larger and will interfere with the trans hump sheet metal. I think the most you may have to do is beat the pinchweld down there flat, but ive never done one of these installs, since my car is using a 904. Otherwise this is a bolt in deal if you secure the parts everyone has listed.

A nice thing to get for this swap is a floor shift steering column. It's the only way to make the column shift lever disappear. Start looking now...these are getting hard to find.

I did this same swap, 73 discs and slant six to 340. My 1966 Valiant DID NOT HAVE the dropped center link!! I had to use one from a 63-66 V-8 car. the discs will work fine. Good luck!

-
Back