66 Fury III Restoration

-

Badart

Reaction score
This is what I have to start with. It's a really solid 66 Fury III that I picked up dirt cheap as a basket case. It was orginally a 318 Poly car, but will get a mild 440/727 combo from a 75 motor home. The car will have a decent paint job as well as a good running motor. I have already gone through the 440 and I can't believe how clean this thing was. Almost zero wear and zero sludge. I checked the main and rod bearings and lubed them up, as well as checked all of the lifters. I will just be installing a rebuild gasket set and run it. I did find a drivers side manifold from a mid 70's new yorker and Jeremy hooked me up with a donor 727.

Once I get the engine back together and tranny done I will focus my energy on body work and paint. I have already bought the primer, sealer, base and clear coat. The car will be painted Dark candy apple red metallic. Not my favorite, but will catch a buyers eye for sure. The car will be red metallic inside and out.

I would have posted this over at The Dry Dock, but this is my mopar family over here and I am sure that most of you love the Furys. Also as you can see my beautiful wife is about to have another kid. Thanks Fabo

Restoration Front.jpg

Restoration Front2.jpg

Restoration Back.jpg

Restoration 440.jpg

Restoration Cart.jpg

Dark Candy Apple Red.jpg

Restoration Mounts.jpg

I like it!

As far as posting over here, I agree with you about putting up here on FABO. I've got two build threads on here, and neither of them are A-bodies. But it just seems like you're sharing it with family.

Actually my dart build thread is on here also, somewhere. LOL. Actually the money from this car is going into finishing up the motor for the dart and paint and body work.

Actually my dart build thread is on here also, somewhere. LOL. Actually the money from this car is going into finishing up the motor for the dart and paint and body work.

Actually, I might have been able to say that I've got three build threads up and one is an A-body. But the car doesn't belong to me. I'm just technical adviser, teacher, coach, and cheerleader.

Cool Car Robert!!!! I always loved and still do love the Fury's. Congratulations on the new baby!!!! Please keep posting the progress on "Furious"

Yep, love those Furys!! My '67 is a Poly 318 car as well, and I kept it that way. This car has been in my family since 1977. I started on it back in '01 and have been driving her for three seasons now. Your '66 looks like a great project, nice and solid looking. Good luck on the build and congrat's on the new addition to the family!!8) No intent to hijack, thought you would like the photos.

front fury.jpg

rear primer shot.jpg

engine.jpg

rear shot.jpg

front.jpg

Ahhh Christmas in May. I received all of my paint supplies today from Summit as well as a couple of new paint guns. I thought it was about time to retire my old siphon feed gun. These are a primer and base/clear coat set made by DeVilbess. I have heard it's a good brand.

I started putting together the long block tonight and priming the oil pump and lost track of time and now it's 2:30 am. LOL. I'm going to bed.

Paint supplies.jpg

Paint guns.jpg

I think you,ll have better luck selling once the car is all one color.I wish you were closer as I,ll be needing something to do over the winter months.I,ve always liked the Fury,s.Good luck!

I think you,ll have better luck selling once the car is all one color.I wish you were closer as I,ll be needing something to do over the winter months.I,ve always liked the Fury,s.Good luck!

I have not even advertised the car for sale yet, other than on here. I hope it doesn't take until winter to do this. I plan on having it painted and running in a month. I better get to work.

Well I have been doing some metal work. The only rust on the car is in the top of the rear quarters and the bottom of the trunk extensions. On the drivers side I have already welded in new metal above the wheel opening inside and outside and I am test fitting a patch panel that I made up at work. It's nice to have a sheet metal roller, break and shrinker stretcher. It turned out a factory match and costs me the price of sheet metal. I would have it welded in already, but it has rained for like 3 days straight here.

Patch panel..jpg

Just a little update. I have been doing bodywork, welding in patch panels in the rear quarters, getting the body straight, priming the engine bay and jams. I did shoot my first couple of coats of epoxy primer and will block it tommorrow. I decided to smooth the body up a bit by welding up all of the trim holes that run down the side of the car as well as smoothing out the C pillar trim (The one tha separates the roof from the quarter. I think it looks better. What do you think?

Primer.jpg

Primer1.jpg

Just a thought, leave her in primer, soap the bajesus out of that 440 and 727, then slicks, ladder bars and the hole 9 yards and call her a "sleeper". I've always wanted to do that. Actually when you're finished playing with the locals sell it to me cuss I love old Fury's and it'll drive the Rustang crowd up here nuts. 8)

Just a thought, leave her in primer, soap the bajesus out of that 440 and 727, then slicks, ladder bars and the hole 9 yards and call her a "sleeper". I've always wanted to do that. Actually when you're finished playing with the locals sell it to me cuss I love old Fury's and it'll drive the Rustang crowd up here nuts. 8)

LOL. It is really growing on me now that I have it all one color and I am looking at the body lines. This car is very solid for a 45 year old car. Other than a little rot behind the rear tires the rest of the car is rust free. Amazing.

Yep, that body style of Fury is super strong...I think it has to do with the body lines stamped into the panels. Yes it does look better with less trim. Love the Fury's!!!

Hahaha. So subrscribed. This thread looks really great! and the car looks like its gonna be a mean monster torque machine!!!

Finally getting some color and it looks great. Do you like my homemade paint booth? I borrowed the fan from work and installed filters in the window. At least it cuts down on the dust and keeps the bugs out of it. So far I have painted the underside of the hood and deck lid and done the jams and most of the engine bay. I will be shooting the rest of the car tommorrow and shooting clear on monday. So far so good. The color really looks great is the sun. Wish me luck, because it's my first time spraying a metallic.

Paint color..jpg

Paint1.jpg

Paint2.jpg

Paint3.jpg

Paint4.jpg

Looks good John. The color turned out great. Let me know when your ready for the buff job.

-
Back