'66 Slant Six Turbo Build

-
Thanks for the info on your pistons. I kind of figured. I really love turbo motors and whenever I see builds like yours I get very tempted. In theory, with an HX35 from a Cummins, a 500 horsepower at 5000 rpm slant should be pretty straightforward with about 25 psi of boost. But that's not the plan for my Valiant.

Boost creep is a very common problem with internal wastegates on small turbines, especially if you are trying to keep boost low. In your case I imagine that the hot side is too small for your application. You can switch to an EWG but I bet you'll still have some problems with it. Better to step up to a larger hot side or larger turbo.

And you are more or less right on the flow vs. pressure thing. I'm not an engineer but I have done a lot of reading (and writing) on this topic. If you pick the right turbo you can get more power with the same boost (since the larger turbo is running more efficiently with a lower P/R). Or the same power with less boost. but then you might run into more boost creep issues unless the hot side is properly matched to the engine.

WOW what an amazing car i am loving the information gave on it very technical correct information i like his build alot. im very interested and hope to keep updated.Are you concerned about getting a bigger turbo and a external wastegate?

My hats off to you! The original plan for my slant six powered Scamp was a turbo setup until someone dropped a nice 340 in my lap. I couldn't refuse lol. I love the build, very exciting to see someone do what I left on the drawing board.

My only suggestion to you would be to divert hot air rolling off the radiator away from your air intake. Maybe build a cold air box or even just install a peice of sheet metal around the forward part of the filter to keep the hot air out of the system.

This will help with high end ignition ping and make the intercooler more of an extra instead of a nessessity.

Enjoy the ride!

Nice job, your fabrication skills are great! Do you mind telling me where the intercooler came from?

Thanks

Hey, Fig, thanks for the compliments! All the fab skills go to my friend John at JTE Engineering - the guy is a metal genius and phenomenal engineer. And the intercoller was built from the core up, I think it was a PWR core.

71Scamper, I as thinking the same thing, eventually I want to get am AL rad and shroud. I didn't think of a heat shield in front of the cleaner but I that should work awesome.

The car is a beast, too much boost! She spit the head gasket out last night :p Going to take the down time to put on an external waste gate and possibly step up the turbo hot side, possibly a larger turbo overall.

The car is a beast, too much boost! She spit the head gasket out last night :p Going to take the down time to put on an external waste gate and possibly step up the turbo hot side, possibly a larger turbo overall.[/QUOTE]

Anthony at what psi of boost did it spit the gasket? Did you install arp head studs?
Becareful on making a bunch of changes I could of had my bucket of bolts done atleast a year ago but i keep making changes with trying to build one of the fastest turbocharged, slant powered factory vehicle. Now will I ever get there I hope so the car is ready but who's to say it won't take me another year to get it dailed in, hell I might blow my first motor I hope not but you just don't no.
Keep at it
Aaron

The car is a beast, too much boost! She spit the head gasket out last night :p Going to take the down time to put on an external waste gate and possibly step up the turbo hot side, possibly a larger turbo overall.

Anthony at what psi of boost did it spit the gasket? Did you install arp head studs?
Becareful on making a bunch of changes I could of had my bucket of bolts done atleast a year ago but i keep making changes with trying to build one of the fastest turbocharged, slant powered factory vehicle. Now will I ever get there I hope so the car is ready but who's to say it won't take me another year to get it dailed in, hell I might blow my first motor I hope not but you just don't no.
Keep at it
Aaron[/QUOTE]

Hey Aaron, I think it was between 15-18 psi. Yes, I have the off the shelf ARP head studs. I think they help, but as I suspected without perfect tuning the Felpro gasket is not match for boost.

I got the aussie speed gasket in the mail this weekend, endurotec or something. I'm going to put that in when I have time and rework the exhaust manifold for a wastegate and look into what I can do with the hotside to get more exhaust flow.

Ideally, I want to keep the boost around 10-12 psi so it can live easier :-D

Wow, it's been two months. Finally got the new head gasket installed. Still need to re-install a few things and run some coolant lines to the intake manifold.

Then, I have to figure out what to do about keeping the boost pressure down...

Wow, it's been two months. Finally got the new head gasket installed. Still need to re-install a few things and run some coolant lines to the intake manifold.

Then, I have to figure out what to do about keeping the boost pressure down...

Waste gates seem to work well for that.

Have you considered getting one?

Man your install is clean and tidy. You did a great job on that thing. Planning out my setup, it will be much more mild then your setup though.

Waste gates seem to work well for that.

Have you considered getting one?

The 32R I am using has an internal waste gate. I am going to bore out the diameter as big as I can, maybe even slightly larger than the flapper. Depending on how that does, I may bore a hole in the twin scroll housing so both sides are fully vented earlier in the circuit.

We'll see how it does in a week or two when I bolt it all back up.

man this is one COOL build. I love it! makes me so mad I never followed through with the slant for my car.

It's never too late...

Cheap to buy (ours was given to us!) they are easy to get... and the possibilities are endless.

I'd like to build one for the street... ours us just a race car.

Ten pounds of boost won't hurt a stock motor and it REALLY wakes one up!!!:cheers:

A Super Six intake manifold, a Holley 2bbl (350 or 500) a PISHTA turbo mount and you're on your way to thirteen second E.T.'s.

bump.

it's upgrade time for this '66. I'm going to be selling off the 2bbl 500cfm holley, gt32 turbo and carb bonnet.

let me know if you're interested in the package. it's good for 330 whp and 440 ft lb of torque. the carb is very happy with this turbo

i've been a hermit for a while but new posts to come of the new build... efi and a very large exhaust housing should be fun :)

bump.

it's upgrade time for this '66. I'm going to be selling off the 2bbl 500cfm holley, gt32 turbo and carb bonnet.

let me know if you're interested in the package. it's good for 330 whp and 440 ft lb of torque. the carb is very happy with this turbo

i've been a hermit for a while but new posts to come of the new build... efi and a very large exhaust housing should be fun :)

How much boost did it take to generate 330 RWHP, :blob::blob:please?

That is the single most clean turbo slant setup I've seen to date! Congrats on the awesome numbers too!

Thank you for the kind words. If I gave the impression that that car in the video was mine I am very sorry; It is NOT. I had nothing whatsoever to do with that awesome car! Wish I could say I had...

It is the work of Ryan Peterson (another FABO member.) He and another FABO member whose name is Tom Wolfe, were our inspiration for building this '64 in the avatar. Also, I have a partner who figured mightily in the creation of this particular effort. His name is Freddie Nielsen and he did probably over 50-percent of the work on this car, particularly, the header design and fabrication, his first and only (see picture.)

We have been slow to get this car to the strip because we are O-L-D.... He's 76 and I am a much more youthful 75.... so, we don't do ANYTHING "FAST." LOL!

Pretty soon, we'll have it to the strip and we'll see whether we did anything right. If we can run within a full second of Ryan's car, we'll be very happy! Tom's car is a lot heavier, but just as powerful. They showed the way; we just followed!

But, thanks for the well-meaning compliments; they mean a lot!:blob:

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 643
Okay, it's been a while but finally made some real progress on the new EFI setup.

Out with the carb and in with the whp...

The new setup in going to use a modified version of my existing manifold but change it from a twin scroll t3 to t4. Going with AEM EMS, coil on ignition setup, custom intake manifold and t4/t67 p-trim turbo! We're also building a custom head flange with studs for a easy install and tight fit.

Coil on spark plug setup (Honda CBR coils):

The start of the new intake manifold:

Custom head flange:

t4/t67 p-trim w/ 2.5" adapter welded on:

Bits and bots for the intake setup (Infinity Q45 TB w/ variable linkage). The independent runners will be swedged square and mated with either a custom plenum or a cast plenum designed for the supra 2jzgte i6.

Out with the old :p

Any updates?

Yes, lol. It's been a while. We had our first baby last August and between that and work the internet has been for mandatory use only - haha! The car has been at the shop so long my wife swears I sold it or it's been stolen.

The only picture update I have is the less exciting shiny new engine bay and trans:

Photo_Feb_14_1512-09-04AM_zps7f637a17.jpg

IMG_0408_zpsce9d33ac.jpg

I decided to tackle a few more things while we sorted out how to handle the new power this beast is going to make. More on that later. While the engine was out, new paint went in and the trans went for an overhaul - the trans should be ready for 500+ whp.

The real challenge is the head gasket. The engineer I'm working with, genius, thought to use diesel style fire rings since we're old school and have an iron head. So, he found a manufacturer to make a few sets of rings which will drop into a groove cut into the block. He's used a similar setup on his cummins which held 60+ PSI (the engine has 300K miles at this point!). It's very much like a copper o-ring to the extreme. This is very common for diesel applications.

At this point, the new setup is fabricated, the engine bay, engine, trans and wiring are ready to go. I'll get some picture of the new fab work up in a week or two.

-
Back