'66 Slant Six Turbo Build

-
Another few months have passed and finally some significant progress. We finally got the head gasket solution figured out. This setup is just copying the Cummins guys and using steel fire rings with a Victor-Reinz head gasket. Hopefully it all crushes together right and we can easily hold tons of boost. I guess Porsche guys use a similar setup with great success.

If this works well and anyone is interested in holding tons of boost in a /6 we made three sets of gaskets/rings and a local shop is tooled up to make more and cut the head :)

This project is moving slow but will have killer results.

Here is a fire ring and a view of the the head cut with a receiver groove:

IMG_1089_zpssohuhbct.jpg

And the head gasket laser cut to accept the fire ring:

IMG_1091_zpszmh22gtc.jpg

"Another few months have passed and finally some significant progress. We finally got the head gasket solution figured out."

Man, I REALLY like what you have done with that block/head interface!

That will NOT be the Achilles heel of the cylinder-sealing when you decide to try 30+ pounds of boost!

I started this turbo project of my own, to see what the pressure-limits of forced induction were with a slant six, but it looks like you may beat me to it...

You go, guy!!!! :cheers:

Hey All,

I know this thread is getting anchient but I have a preview of the final product, well at least the engine/turbo setup :-D these things take time, lol

The latest setup is wild, multi-point fuel injection, coil-on-cylinder ignition, e85 ready, full blow beast!

IMG_1938_zpss9eueojp.jpe

Hey All,

I know this thread is getting anchient but I have a preview of the final product, well at least the engine/turbo setup :-D these things take time, lol

The latest setup is wild, multi-point fuel injection, coil-on-cylinder ignition, e85 ready, full blow beast!

That looks awesome! I wanted to run E-85, but was scared off by its corrosive nature and the fact that the alcohol content of the fuel at the pump is crazy/inconsistent. Sometimes it's 85-percent alcohol, sometimes it's 70-percent... How do you deal with that? Changing percentages like that, will change the octane, measurably... and, not in a good way.

All I could see to do was buy a a kit and monitor every drop that went into the tank, and modify it, whenever necessary (which might be a lot of the time,) to bring it back to "spec." (85-percent.) Is there a better way?

Congratulations on your significant progress! I can't WAIT to see this thing run!!!:cheers:

Awesome build! I've been thinking of doing a similar setup. Whats the shop that did the fire rings and cut the head? I'm also in AZ in the west valley.

Thanks, Bill. The flex fuel sensor and AEM EMS will handle adjustments for alcohol % on the fly. I'm a bit worried about the long term effects on the gas tank but I got a fuel pump and injectors rated for e85, and redid all the lines. It should be pretty reliable, until it's not, lol.

1970valiant, the shop is JT Engineering, they closed up shop recently but the owner should have the jig to cut the heads and for the turbo header as well. He ordered about a dozen sets of fire rings as well if your interested.

Thanks, Bill. The flex fuel sensor and AEM EMS will handle adjustments for alcohol % on the fly. I'm a bit worried about the long term effects on the gas tank but I got a fuel pump and injectors rated for e85, and redid all the lines. It should be pretty reliable, until it's not, lol..

I am just terrified of fuel injection, so, I guess I'll keep on paying $10.00/gallon for my gas, since my car is never driven on the street, and I don't go to the strip all that often...

Good luch with your E85 setup; it sounde like something that should work! :blob:

Over here the e85 guys buy a barrel of gas and keep in the garage,then they know what % they have for that time. But the best is a flex fuel sensor...

Over here the e85 guys buy a barrel of gas and keep in the garage,then they know what % they have for that time. But the best is a flex fuel sensor...

Will a flex fuel sensor work with my Holley double pumper?

I'm not amenable to the idea of changing my system over to fuel injection.... too stupid.

why don't you guys run on alchohol? Would that not solve your detonation problems? I am not a turbo guy just know that alchohol can be your friend and make more power.

why don't you guys run on alchohol? Would that not solve your detonation problems? I am not a turbo guy just know that alchohol can be your friend and make more power.

Alcohol IS the almost-perfect fuel for turbo motors because of its high octane (resistance to detonation.)

I said "almost-perfecct" because it comes with its own set of problems and they are not always easily dealt-with.

It's corrosive.

It, over the long-trerm, is damaging to rubber, metal, plastic, and pretty-much anything it touches, and that incudes the O-rings in the carbs, fuel lines, and a variety of other fuel-related items.

That may be the reason a lot of turbo guys don't use it. Too, its availability is not on par with gasoline.

BUT, it is a great fuel, if you can deal with its "problems."

I think that may be the reason most people are not running it; its corrosive nature..

Just my 2-cents...

no, a flexfuel sensor will not work With Your Stock carb. it may get you a value on a display so that you can change jets when the mix is off. maybe you have to change jets every time you fill the tank:)

I think I have read about a Electronic adjustable metering Block once, but I cant find it. maybe there was a rednecks own makeup.

there is alot of corrosive problems With E85 too.
much better to design the engine to run on highest available octane petrol.
just have good control over charge temperature and ignition timing!

edit: what was it called that fuel they used in 90's formel-1 turbo-era? like 130 octane 45psi boost and 1000hp...

The car is built with modern sensors (crank position, knock, iat, etc.) and using an ems so detonation won't be a an issue because we have full visibility and control over fuel and timing. It's going to be mostly a street car so full alchohol isn't desirable due to the things we've mentioned here.

Running a flex fuel sensor for e85 was just an easy, cheap way to be able to get some extra horsepower when e85 is available. The sensor was $50 and once the car is tuned I can mix and match any volume of 91 gasoline and e85 and the ems will automatically compentsate.

The car is built with modern sensors (crank position, knock, iat, etc.) and using an ems so detonation won't be a an issue because we have full visibility and control over fuel and timing. It's going to be mostly a street car so full alchohol isn't desirable due to the things we've mentioned here.

Running a flex fuel sensor for e85 was just an easy, cheap way to be able to get some extra horsepower when e85 is available. The sensor was $50 and once the car is tuned I can mix and match any volume of 91 gasoline and e85 and the ems will automatically compentsate.

That sounds like a great setup! I wish I was that smart.... but, I am stuck in the fifties, tech-wise, so none of those flexible systems are available to me.

Still, I manage to have tons of fun with this little mechanical anomaly. :cheers:

Quick update on this ancient thread: it's been the better part of year and I finally bolted up the head gasket / fire ring solution to mixed results. The combustion chambers are sealed up and by my estimation bulletproof, I'd wager they could handle 40-50 PSI. However, the tolerances were a bit off and I'm not getting the compression I need on the gasket to seal up the water passages. Either the receiver grooves were too shallow, the rings too big or the deck is off somewhere.

So, not quite back to the drawing board but going to measure a few things. Also, going to call SCE Gaskets and see if they can drum up a recommendation for me.

That sounds like a great setup! I wish I was that smart.... but, I am stuck in the fifties, tech-wise, so none of those flexible systems are available to me.

Still, I manage to have tons of fun with this little mechanical anomaly. :cheers:

I wouldn't say it's smarts more so the ability to constantly :BangHead: year after year and enjoy the small wins, lol

Ive been following your build for a long time trying to convince myself to go that route. Beautiful setup, one of the best I've seen on a slant. Bravo Sir.

We finally got my '66 dart over to my friends house so he could get busy on the metal work. He's putting together a really nice turbo kit for me. Here are some pics of the build so far. It needs a lot of welding still and some finishes but it's starting to look amazing.

Here is the divided t3 manifold, 1.25" schedule 40 stainless, hopefully the other three runners will be done this weekend

665911_4764759245794_567310961_o.jpg

Little snail just hanging around there looking cool while everything gets mocked up

177341_4764760485825_592871171_o.jpg

I forgot the exact size of the core, vertical flow helped keep the plumbing neat - hopefully good for 550whp+ (don't know when it'll ever make that :p)

665628_4764753805658_334594553_o.jpg

3" cold side and a 2.5" hot side hiding underneath - fits great

665824_4764757165742_924971066_o.jpg
What type of piston are you using and what is the compression and how much boost thanks dave

Yes I'm trying to keep it 8.0:1 but custom is 950.00 for Pistons. using molar h beams also. Going fuel injection. Not sure on how big of turbo.would have been nice to get a roller cam for it. But oh well. I'd like to hit 11.ss it's going in a 65 coronet 500. any suggestions what would you do differently if you could?

Yes I'm trying to keep it 8.0:1 but custom is 950.00 for Pistons. using molar h beams also. Going fuel injection. Not sure on how big of turbo.would have been nice to get a roller cam for it. But oh well. I'd like to hit 11.ss it's going in a 65 coronet 500. any suggestions what would you do differently if you could?

The biggest thing I would change is spending the money to have an MLS head gasket cut. I hear Cometic is accommodating this now but I haven't followed up. I'd also go with a big turbo, the /6 heads don't flow well so the more flow the turbo has the better (plus bigger turbos = lower boost for more power).

The rods and pistons are not cheap, however, so far I've found they are bullet proof.

That looks awesome! I wanted to run E-85, but was scared off by its corrosive nature and the fact that the alcohol content of the fuel at the pump is crazy/inconsistent. Sometimes it's 85-percent alcohol, sometimes it's 70-percent... How do you deal with that? Changing percentages like that, will change the octane, measurably... and, not in a good way.

All I could see to do was buy a a kit and monitor every drop that went into the tank, and modify it, whenever necessary (which might be a lot of the time,) to bring it back to "spec." (85-percent.) Is there a better way?

Congratulations on your significant progress! I can't WAIT to see this thing run!!!:cheers:

You buy it by the 55 gallon drum.

Quick update on this ancient thread: it's been the better part of year and I finally bolted up the head gasket / fire ring solution to mixed results. The combustion chambers are sealed up and by my estimation bulletproof, I'd wager they could handle 40-50 PSI. However, the tolerances were a bit off and I'm not getting the compression I need on the gasket to seal up the water passages. Either the receiver grooves were too shallow, the rings too big or the deck is off somewhere.

So, not quite back to the drawing board but going to measure a few things. Also, going to call SCE Gaskets and see if they can drum up a recommendation for me.

Cometic Gasket, Inc.

I know they can make a gasket that will seal this! They are local to me.
800-752-9850

The biggest thing I would change is spending the money to have an MLS head gasket cut. I hear Cometic is accommodating this now but I haven't followed up. I'd also go with a big turbo, the /6 heads don't flow well so the more flow the turbo has the better (plus bigger turbos = lower boost for more power).

The rods and pistons are not cheap, however, so far I've found they are bullet proof.
THANKS I am going to spend the money on forged pistons because the first machine shop that had my block and heads, were two thirds higher then the second guy, I found to do my block and heads so in a nut shell I'll be saving $500 plus on the work,so the way I'm looking at it now is that the Pistons will only cost me 400 Stupid Way of thinking, but the moneys going to be spent anyway. I have 1.44 exhaust valves ev8. because I have to get the intake valves special made $30 apiece I was thinking .100 bigger than stock. just to keep the valve flush with the Harden seat. going to port and polish the head. doing EFI for the e85thanks Dave your a huge help

-
Back