66 wagon rear side window.

-

Longroof66

Reaction score
Does anybody have any idea where to find rubber gaskets for these windows. I checked all the obvious places, Steele rubber, Classic Industries, Detroit Muscle. Or is it possible to make one out of gasket stock that is sold in straight pieces sold by the foot. In order to paint this car properly and replace the headliner the rear windows obviously have to come out. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

20210329_165744.jpg

Is there any reason why you can’t reuse your gaskets? In order to remove my side windows, I soaked the gaskets with a solution of Dawn dish detergent over several weeks time. As soon as they were sort of pliable I used my glass stick to start moving the gasket away from the glass. Did this on the inside as well. With the help of my assistant (the wife), we removed both the glass and weatherstrip without any damage. I suppose I could have just cut the weatherstrip but I wanted to try and save it for someone else (glass and weatherstrip sold to a member in CA).

Is there any reason why you can’t reuse your gaskets? In order to remove my side windows, I soaked the gaskets with a solution of Dawn dish detergent over several weeks time. As soon as they were sort of pliable I used my glass stick to start moving the gasket away from the glass. Did this on the inside as well. With the help of my assistant (the wife), we removed both the glass and weatherstrip without any damage. I suppose I could have just cut the weatherstrip but I wanted to try and save it for someone else (glass and weatherstrip sold to a member in CA).
I'm assuming you did the detergent soak AFTER removing the lock strip...

GG-W130, 63-66 A-body station wagon, Rear side glass seal - enough for one side only.....$159.00.....in stock

GG-W131, 63-66 A-body station wagon, Chrome plastic lockstrip used with #GG-W130. Enough for one side.....$49.00.....in stock

There is a company in Australia that is remaking or had remade them for these year wagons ('63-'66). If you research older wagon threads using the search box on this site I'm certain you can come up with their name since it was definitely posted. If not search internet for AP5/AP6 wagon parts and or Australian Valiant Wagon websites. I think their cost was around $800 pair.

There is a company in Australia that is remaking or had remade them for these year wagons ('63-'66). If you research older wagon threads using the search box on this site I'm certain you can come up with their name since it was definitely posted. If not search internet for AP5/AP6 wagon parts and or Australian Valiant Wagon websites. I think their cost was around $800 pair.
See post #4

@Rick@Laysons - Your GG-W130 is more of a useable universal material sold by the foot and is not an exact (1) piece reproduction gasket correct ? Is the GG-W130 useable in '60-'62 "A" body wagons ? If not do you have another part number that is ?

@Rick@Laysons - Your GG-W130 is more of a useable universal material sold by the foot and is not an exact (1) piece reproduction gasket correct ? Is the GG-W130 useable in '60-'62 "A" body wagons ? If not do you have another part number that is ?

It is not a "universal" material, but it is an "extrusion" piece, and is sold in the "supplied to us" pre-cut lengths. You would use a gel-type super glue to bond the ends together where they meet. We have sold dozens of these weatherstrips and customers have had no issues installing and using them.

It would NOT be applicable to the '60-'62 model years.

We do not have a listing for the side-glass seals/lockstrips for the '60-'62 years....

Yes I did
Dartman, I am lucky in that this vehicle spent 53 years of its life in a garage the weather stripping it's already reasonably pliable. I spent 10 hours yesterday using a homemade nylon tool that I made following your instructions. The gasket is now completely pulled away from the glass outside and inside. I can now pull the outer lip away from the window and pushed from inside and see the glass move away from the inner portion of the gasket. What I'm wondering now is if there is a specific point where I need to start from to begin removing it.

I started in the rear corner working the rubber while my helper on the inside was gently (but firmly) pushing her size 8’s against the glass until the glass popped free. After that it was a piece of cake.

I started in the rear corner working the rubber while my helper on the inside was gently (but firmly) pushing her size 8’s against the glass until the glass popped free. After that it was a piece of cake.
Thank you. I don't have a helper, lost my wife in July last year. I'll get someone over to help soon. I'll keep you posted on how this goes. Once again, thank you........

Also, I'm assuming this glass is virtually impossible to replace.

There’s a 65 wagon in a yard about 70 miles or so away that’s still fairly complete with the side glass. Been sitting there since 85 according to the license plate. I grabbed the power tailgate and roof rack off it. To grab the side glass I’d bet one would need to cut the rubber

There’s a 65 wagon in a yard about 70 miles or so away that’s still fairly complete with the side glass. Been sitting there since 85 according to the license plate. I grabbed the power tailgate and roof rack off it. To grab the side glass I’d bet one would need to cut the rubber
Just out of curiosity where

I use a putty knife to work the inner lip of the gasket over the pinch weld. Once you get the top and most of the sides done, it usually just pushes out easily. Yes, you need a helper to keep the glass from falling on the floor while you push and work the gasket if nothing else.

I use a putty knife to work the inner lip of the gasket over the pinch weld. Once you get the top and most of the sides done, it usually just pushes out easily. Yes, you need a helper to keep the glass from falling on the floor while you push and work the gasket if nothing else.
It's 34 degrees here and my garage is not heated. Supposed to warm back up on Saturday. I'll be warm and so will the rubber.

You won't just crack it. Either it comes out whole, or, in a thousand pieces. They're pretty tough though.

-
Back