67 barracuda dash refinishing?

-

fireguyfire

Reaction score
I’ve got the dash panel out of my 67 barracuda so I can clean everything, check the switches and wiring harness, replace the bulbs, etc.
My car is an unrestored car that I bought off of the original owner this fall. The car had been stored in a Quonset for 30 years, and the mice had gotten into it pretty good. I’m trying to keep the car as original as possible since it is unrestored, but I did have to replace the headliner and carpet in the car.
With the dash panel out and cleaned it looks pretty worn out with a lot of tge silver paint rubbed off and the chrome plastic plating failing.
I’m considering doing a dash face refresh since it is such an integral part of the car.

Has anyone out there restored one of these plastic dashes, and if so any tips tricks and paint suggestions would be appreciated. I know there are some spray products out there now that do a decent job of representing the chroming.

I’m also open to suggestions on wether I should restore the dash at all, or leave it be.

Also, I wanted to confirm that the lettering on the dash heater switch are was originally silver and not white?

IMG_4448.jpeg

IMG_4447.jpeg

Ornametal? I think is a company that redoes them. Gcar as well?
Do a search on here, lots of info/how to on redoing these.

ps if you are going to try respraying yourself I recommend Revell Chrome Spray although I can't say how durable it is.

Try Vacuum Orna-Metal in Romulus, Michigan. They did mine in February. They dipped it to strip it, then repaired cracked piece and rechromed it. Turned out really nice. Talk to Steve. They do the lenses too and if you want, apply the overlay (woodgrain). I'll post a picture in a few days (when I get home).

You can buy. The overlays from national moparts in Canada. Detroit doesn’t ship up here.

Try Vacuum Orna-Metal in Romulus, Michigan. They did mine in February. They dipped it to strip it, then repaired cracked piece and rechromed it. Turned out really nice. Talk to Steve. They do the lenses too and if you want, apply the overlay (woodgrain). I'll post a picture in a few days (when I get home).
Yup. That's who I used at the beginning of the pandamic and they still got it done in a reasonable time and very reasonable price.
I'd handle the details a little different next time as discussed in the Steve's Rally Dash thread which I kindof co-oped for a couple pages.
Start here and scroll through as we resolve the details Rally dash redo
Especially the script - Rally dash redo
But also the area around the radio knobs and the back colors.

Last edited:

GCAR did mine, and the glovebox trim and A pillar mouldings, which are chromed in 1967 convertibles. He also polished the lenses and included new red and green lenses. There was quite a waiting list, but very hood communication along the way.

DA11D59D-524A-4B1A-AC29-6AA1CEE5201E.jpeg

DECC9AE5-6365-4592-AB69-B9330ECA2560.jpeg

0A8DBBE5-D232-4559-B0FE-F57D0B67D6C6.jpeg

-
Back