'67 Cuda Change - Inland to Hurst 4 Speed

-

gljplc

Reaction score
Guys,
My '67 Barracuda has a factory 4 speed with Inland shifter and console.
I want to change to a Hurst shifter.

I have a few questions:
(1) will a new Hurst competition/plus shifter work or do I need to find a
used 68 A-body Hurst shifter?
(2) is the Hurst shifter mounting plate different from the Inland ?
(3) will I need to get a used 68 or 69 A body "console" shifter handle ?

What other changes or modifications will be needed ??

As always, I appreciate the info at this site.

GLJPLC

Answer in reverse order.
3) you need the Hurst handle and it has a certain shape on the end than fits into the top of the mechanism. It has little recesses than fit cleats built into the top of the mechanism.

2) the mounting plate is different. The Hurst mounting plate is the same whether you're using a non-console or console set-up. It says 6350 on the casting.

1) The Hurst competition/plus shifter that I have is made with holes and welded on nuts for a through bolted type shifter handle (like a pistol grip I believe). I'm not sure if your comp/plus has the cleats or the bolt holes but as I say in answer 3) above you need the type that has the little cleats that grab into the base of the shifter handle.

I have an extra hurst shifter handle for sale. PM me if you're interested. You can buy an adapter plate from Passion Performance or Brewer's I'm sure. The bolts that hold the plate on are the type that have a V shaped head that recesses into the side of the plate. If your inland doesn't have these type of bolts, get them from same place you get the adapter plate.

My handle is bent a little but with heat and pursuading it can be straightened. It will need rechroming too. It came in another shifter that I have that has the cleats. Before you ask, I want to keep the shifter as I have a cherry rechromed handle that I got off Ebay.

-
Back