67 Dart GT Rearend Question

-

cjdive

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am just curious...my 67 Dart GT Convertible needs a new rear (it has a lot of horsepower -i think- but no torque).

NOW- DON'T LAUGH (at least not too hard). The guy I bought the car from said that he had the car's front bumper up against a tree to test it and when he stepped on the gas the tires bearly spinned- on the grass. So I took his word for it and bought it anway. I can atest to the fact that the car has no get up - and go.

When I got the car, I pulled out the 318 (which still was not the original engine...not sure what it had- slant6???) and dropped in a 360 w/Edelbrock 4 bbl. Mated it with a 727 TF and had to get the driveshaft cut down. I never even bothered to look at the rear (ran out of money). It still is a good runner, but like I said- no power.

So again, my question is...what rearend came with the original 67 Dart GT conv? I know for a fact it did not have a 383...perhaps a 273- but most likely a slant6. I fear it might be a 7 1/4 which I am assuming is pretty much trashed and worthless (and nearly not worth rebuilding).

What should I get for a rearend? Thanks.

Do a google search for "Dodge rearend ID guide" and it will show you what you have now. If it's not at least a 8.75, I'd look to upgrade. Good luck!

Hi all,

I am just curious...my 67 Dart GT Convertible needs a new rear (it has a lot of horsepower -i think- but no torque).

NOW- DON'T LAUGH (at least not too hard). The guy I bought the car from said that he had the car's front bumper up against a tree to test it and when he stepped on the gas the tires bearly spinned- on the grass. So I took his word for it and bought it anway. I can atest to the fact that the car has no get up - and go.

When I got the car, I pulled out the 318 (which still was not the original engine...not sure what it had- slant6???) and dropped in a 360 w/Edelbrock 4 bbl. Mated it with a 727 TF and had to get the driveshaft cut down. I never even bothered to look at the rear (ran out of money). It still is a good runner, but like I said- no power.

So again, my question is...what rearend came with the original 67 Dart GT conv? I know for a fact it did not have a 383...perhaps a 273- but most likely a slant6. I fear it might be a 7 1/4 which I am assuming is pretty much trashed and worthless (and nearly not worth rebuilding).

What should I get for a rearend? Thanks.

Unless it came factory with a 383, then it would be either 273 or Slant 6, both of which came stock w/ 7.25 rear end. With a 360, I would install an 8.75, or, failing that, an 8.25.

Look at the back of the axle from behind the car. Do you see a cover with bolts that go around to bolt it on? If so, it's probably a 7.25" axle. If it's smooth looking from the back, with no bolts, it's an 8.75. I would guess that your car has a 7.25, but you never know for sure. Who the heck knows what's happened in 40+ years, too. It could have a Chevy axle in it for all we know.

If I don't post it someone else will, here you go

Axel%20ID.jpg

-
Back