68 4 speed wire

-

gremlin

268Darts
Reaction score
I have a 4 speed with the 2 prong switch for the reverse lights. The 68 has the neutral safety switch on the column and a 1 wire switch in the trans. I haven't check yet, but can I use the same 1 wire switch in the 4 speed? If the column works the reverse lights, how can the 4 speed make them work?

When the 4speed is in reverse the shaft in the trans pushes the 2 wire reverse light switch and turns the reverse lights on. The 70's model cars are all I'm familiar with, but there should be a safety switch on the clutch pedal assembly that goes to the starter solenoid that only lets you start the car when the clutch it pushed in. You can ground that wire on the starter solenoid, but the car will start any time the key is turned to start no matter what gear you're in.
Hope that helps some.
-Jon

I have a 4 speed with the 2 prong switch for the reverse lights. The 68 has the neutral safety switch on the column and a 1 wire switch in the trans. I haven't check yet, but can I use the same 1 wire switch in the 4 speed? If the column works the reverse lights, how can the 4 speed make them work?

I took the wire that the auto used and grounded it. You are right, it will start anytime the key is turned. I bought a 68 wiring manuel off ebay, it looks like the auto trans wire goes to clutch switch, and I need 2 wires from the bulkhead to the 2 prong switch on the trans. The 2 empty slots on the R hand top side of bulkhead/plug are where the 2 wires tie into the reverse/back up switch inside the car. Thanks for the reply.

-
Back