68 Cuda Fastback sail panels with Mini Tub ?

-

DonnieLawson

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
OK guys, I want to retain my sail panels in the car , Its mini tubbed to the frame rails .
The 1st couple pics is before I mini tubbed the car .
Ive seen some with the wheel well cut out of the panel and carpeted over , others with what looks to be , the uncut panels in place .
Any pics or links on how to do this ?
The last pic is one I saw on the net, not mine. I would rather have a uncut sail panel If I could
Thanks,
Donnie

sail panels resized.jpg

sail panels resized 2.jpg

rear seat 68 cuda resized.jpg

How much space remains between your sail panels and the tubs?

Bummer, the tubs intrude on the space that the sail panels need to occupy. This is where some creativity needs to be applied. It would be very difficult to form a big piece of steel into the contours needed to replicate those of the original sail. It might be much easier to work with fiberglass in this situation. You could use the original sail panels as a mold. You can apply some build-up material to the sail panel, such as panels of rigid foam board or modeling clay and sculpt them to the bulge you need. Then you cover it with release agent and make a fiberglass mold. Then, you add release agent to the mold and layer fiberglass and resin to it to form your new panels. There are a number of fiberglass how-to videos on Youtube. Once you have made your mold, you can produce as many copies as you want. Just a suggestion.

Bummer, the tubs intrude on the space that the sail panels need to occupy. This is where some creativity needs to be applied. It would be very difficult to form a big piece of steel into the contours needed to replicate those of the original sail. It might be much easier to work with fiberglass in this situation. You could use the original sail panels as a mold. You can apply some build-up material to the sail panel, such as panels of rigid foam board or modeling clay and sculpt them to the bulge you need. Then you cover it with release agent and make a fiberglass mold. Then, you add release agent to the mold and layer fiberglass and resin to it to form your new panels. There are a number of fiberglass how-to videos on Youtube. Once you have made your mold, you can produce as many copies as you want. Just a suggestion.

That sounds like a very interesting idea. I'd like to see how it would come out!

-
Back