68 Cuda

-

artie727

Reaction score
Guys, I can only assume (bad word) that the 68 Cuda came undercoated from the factory. If id did or didn't I want to remove all of it. Any suggestions for removal.

Artie Perilloux

Some did; some didn't. Easiest way to remove is soda blasting. Will cut it right off and not damage any metal. There are removers that will soften it so it can be scraped off a lot easier. Some people will use a heat gun to soften it up. Still lots of scraping, grinding, brushing and even using solvents to get the last off.

My 68 came with undercoating ( if you could call it that) and luckily it was put on very sparingly. It just barely covered the floor pans. After 40 years it was pretty hard and dried up. The majority came off using large screw drivers and I rigged up a air chisel and a blade from an old gasket scraper/putty knife. What I couldn't get off that way, I heated up with a $8 heat gun and stiff wire cup on a die grinder.

Mine is thin in places and ultra thick in others. Sand bounces off in most places. Aircraft paint remover softens it up and can be sraped off but that stuff will eat the hide off of you without proper skin protection. It wont be easy but I'll get it off.

Put kerosene in a spray bottle. Spray an area liberally and allow to soak in. Then use a putty knife to scrape it off. Easy enough, but a filthy, dirty job. I know.

I used a propane torch and scraper on my 68 fastback. not fun but easier then I thought it would be .
I do have a 4 post lift that made it easier .
I will have the underbody sandblasted before paint.

I bought a front floor pan from a 68 to go into my 67 cuda.
The floor was undercoated. The heat gun worked great.
It just takes time to remove it.
Bill

I used a propane torch and scraper on my 68 fastback. not fun but easier then I thought it would be .
I do have a 4 post lift that made it easier .
I will have the underbody sandblasted before paint.

Thanks a bunch, the propane torch and a scraper works great and is pretty fast also. The little it leaves behind will be easily sand blasted away. I removed more undercoating in an hour this evening than I had in weeks.

-
Back