68 dart help

-

355chevy

Reaction score
A. When i got the car the person who i got it from said that it had a 318 in it.

So the vin # says it is supposed to have a 273. So me trusting the other person said okey heck with it. Its not the original motor so i will go ahead and make it into a street car and just put what i want in it because nothing is original.

well over the weekend i got under and cleaned off the codes on the block turns out that it is a 273 plus it is date stamped 1-27-67 so the block may be original to the car. My Question is how can i find out if it is the original setup.

I have all the casting # from the block and the tranny. Already went to dealer not helpful. Then to machine shop they had the codes but cant tell me if the vin on my block went with my car. How can i find this out?

I would really like to keep it all # matching if it is of course so i would really like to know before i drop any more money on my 360 for it.

Thanks for the help

There is no way to tell if it is the original prior to '68....if you have a 1-27-67 build date for the motor you may be able to decode the VIN to see when the car was actually made. If it was made after 1-27-67 then it "may" in fact be the original. A good look at the car you may be able to see if the motor looks like it has been disturbed, missing brackets, heat shields, etc...when motors are swapped alot of times not all the brackets and heat shields are put back on.

everything looks to be there but the car has been repainted to the original color and the hard top refinished at that time i think the motor was taken out because it has blue paint on the motor and it is pealing with orange paint under that but all the numbers on the block and the heads the machine shop says to be for the correct time period. I was hopeing i could acutally find something substancial that could tell me everything was original if not then i will go ahead and add some power lol.

okey thank you this may be a stupid question but will it be in the same spot for a 273.

-
Back