68 dart shifter location

-

junkyard jac

Reaction score
looking at this photo can anyone tell me if someone has mcivered this shifter or is that the proper location. any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC03178.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 153
I probably won't function properly, or at least not for long because there's supposed to be another bracket attached to the shifter housing. This bracket supports the upper part of the torque shaft (see pics). The only other support that the torque shaft has is the lower one under the trans. Without the upper support there is nothing to force the shaft to rotate on center. The rubber boot doesn't offer any support. In the last pic I posted there is an extra bracket because I installed a 2004R overdrive so I had to remove the lower bracket/support (last pic) for the torque shaft only leaving the upper one (first two pics). So I installed another bracket to make up for the fact that the lower support (LAST PIC) was removed. If the torque shaft can't rotate on center there's no way you know which gear your going to be in at any given time...IMO!!

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC02106.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 112
  • DSC02107.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC02138.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC01650.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 120
wow so much I have to learn, great explanation by the way. the shifter seems to work perfectly but I have yet to drive it under load. if I may change gears the seller assured me the engine was a proper date coded 440-375 from a 68 new Yorker. could you tell me how I could verify this. again I appreciate all the help.

Sorry, I can't help you with the date coding but I'm sure somebody else can, if not here, then in the engine section. BUT!!! After zooming in on your first I noticed that you don't seem to have a rubber boot where the torque shaft goes through the floor. It looks more like a metal cone shaped like a rubber boot. Upon close inspection it also looks like there's a plastic bushing where the torque shaft pivots in the metal boot. You might be OK if what I see is actually there but as I zoom into the pic it looses some clarity!!

GooD LucK,
treblig

Here are the pics I promised with the modified accelerator bracket. I was really tired of busting my knuckles on the rear bolt. The way Mopar designed it, it was almost impossible to install and remove the rear bolt unless you pulled the distributor. But my bracket solves that problem. Also remember that this bracket is being designed to hold the stock Mopar accelerator cable along with a GM 2004R TV cable hook up. It's not quite finished but it's getting close. I'll have to use a socket head bolt or maybe one of those fancy 3/8" headed bolts which will be installed through the hole you see on the top side of the rear bracket arm. I also had to leave a hole to access the forward bolt.
If anyone is interested I can post pics of this bracket after it's installed. Should be a piece of cake to access the rear bolt!!
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC04204.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 100
  • DSC04205.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 90
  • DSC04206.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC04207.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 88
-
Back