68 dart steering wheel help

-

leos dart

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering if anyone has restored a 3 spoke woodgrain type steering wheel.The problem I have is that the outer chrome trim ring now seems to large for the wheel.The steering wheel has numerous cracks and one half inch piece missing, I was thinking that maybe the wheel is not the same diameter it was before the half inch piece fell off.Any input from you guys on this topic.

Very typical for a 40 + year old wheel, cracks n shrinkage causing the loose outer ss band. You'll probably do better buying one restored than having yours redone although the woodgrain, to most, is not the correct factory finish. Do your homework, all depends on your budget and if you want the correct factory finish.

I restored my steering wheel on my 67 Dart. I used a good epoxy for plastic filled all the cracks, sanded it and painted it with Sem Gloss paint. Looks like original. It was a little time consuming but worthj it.

Dave Davis

thanks for all the great info on restoring my steering wheel you guys are the best.ps Merry christmas everyone.:read2:

-
Back