68 Dart VS 68 GTS

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 68 GTS that is for sale. I was just wondering it there is anything (Other than the VIN number) that I should look for to make sure that it is a real GTS. Just cant be too careful nowadays.

I'm going to look at a 68 GTS that is for sale. I was just wondering it there is anything (Other than the VIN number) that I should look for to make sure that it is a real GTS. Just cant be too careful nowadays.

Main thing is match the numbers on the top drivers side of the radiator core support to the numbers on the fender data plate.

Probaly wont do me any good. The guy said that the car had been hit in the front, back in the early 70's, and the whole front clip was replaced. Understandable, since the same thing happened to my 68 GTS back in 78.

the gts have the wide rear tail moldings that say dodge. its the same width as the tail lights

and also i believe they also have the cone on the front grill?

the gts have the wide rear tail moldings that say dodge. its the same width as the tail lights

and also i believe they also have the cone on the front grill?

The wide tail panel came on the GT's and GTS's

The center cone was an early production option, not just on GTS's It was available on the 68 Darts that was produced in late 67 and was discontinued a few months later. I believe the mold got broke or something like that and they just discontinued it.

The second digit of your Vin will say what model/price class and the 5th digit will say what engine it came with. There should be a Vin decoder on this site to check it out.

Other than the fender tag, you could look for the factory bucket seat brackets welded to the floor, the factory dual exhaust hangers welded to the frame rails, the original holes for the GTS emblems on the fenders and deck lid. I'm not sure about the GTS but the GT's don't have a model emblem on the glove box door like the plain models do.

There are also numbers under the trunk seal on the drivers side.

The wide tail panel came on the GT's and GTS's

The center cone was an early production option, not just on GTS's It was available on the 68 Darts that was produced in late 67 and was discontinued a few months later. I believe the mold got broke or something like that and they just discontinued it.

The second digit of your Vin will say what model/price class and the 5th digit will say what engine it came with. There should be a Vin decoder on this site to check it out.

Other than the fender tag, you could look for the factory bucket seat brackets welded to the floor, the factory dual exhaust hangers welded to the frame rails, the original holes for the GTS emblems on the fenders and deck lid. I'm not sure about the GTS but the GT's don't have a model emblem on the glove box door like the plain models do.

Correct, the VIN will be stamped on the trunk weatherstrip rail on the driver's side. The GTS will also have the top level interior trim with NO emblem on the glovebox. However, there should be the "GTS" diamonds on the inside door top frames under the vent windows. Some were ordered with bench seats (usually in a convertible) so a bucket seat bracket will not be there. A number of 727autos also came with the bucket seat/column shifter so a console is not a guaranteed item either. Should have a bulge hood and the trunk finish panel. The grill center piece seems to have disappeared around the time of a factory strike in December of 1967 so a later build GTS would not have the nose piece. Look for a 8 3/4 read end, and a front aniti-roll bar. Of course, this is all academic if the VIN on the dash matches the trunk rail stamping.
Good luck!

Where exactly on the rear weatherstrip rail would the number be. On the vertical part near the tail light, or on the horizontal part? If on the horizontal part, is it closer to the tail light or the back window, or in the center?

The car has been painted several times. The only way I found the numbers in the radiator support was by using a flashlight and looking at it from different angles. I was just barely able to make out the last few numbers by looking in a very specific angle in relation to the light because the paint has filled the numbers in completely, and I could just make out slight discoloration where the numbers are. The trunk weatherstrip channel is much larger, and is going to be much more of a PITA unless I have a pretty specific location to look at.

Perhaps someone could take a pic of their weatherstrip area, and circle where the numbers are.

I don't think the 68 and back cars had a VIN number stamped in them anywhere. I think it was 69 that they started to stamp the VIN number in them, 68 and back had a number that matched the fender tag but not the VIN.

The easiest way to tell the difference between a GTS and a GT......

The GTS has a thin chrome strip on the rockers

The GT has a chrome strip that starts on the front fender at the top of the front bumper, goes along the top of both wheel wells and ends at the top or the rear bumper.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Dart0004.jpg

Regular Darts have a chrome strip that starts at the front marker light and goes to the back one.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1968/68_Dart0005.jpg

The VIN should have a P or an H as the 5th digit if it`s an authentic GTS. Like some of the guys have already mentioned the 68`s will have the second half of the shipping order number on the last line of the fender tag. 6 digit # (see an example in picture, the # 145038 ). This number should match the number on the left side radiator core support and the left side trunk lip under the gasket. Some of the early 68`s will have the engine and bellhousing stamped with the sequential number of the VIN. This should be just behind the distributor and on the left side edge of the block/bellhousing.

!BfnhYm!CGk~$(KGrHqUH-C0Erf(7o2TVBLCE!C6Cc!~~_3.jpg

I don't think the 68 and back cars had a VIN number stamped in them anywhere. I think it was 69 that they started to stamp the VIN number in them, 68 and back had a number that matched the fender tag but not the VIN.

Your right, I don't think they were on 69 either. It was common on 70 and newer models.

The VIN should have a P or an H as the 5th digit if it`s an authentic GTS. Like some of the guys have already mentioned the 68`s will have the second half of the shipping order number on the last line of the fender tag. 6 digit # (see an example in picture, the # 145038 ). This number should match the number on the left side radiator core support and the left side trunk lip under the gasket. Some of the early 68`s will have the engine and bellhousing stamped with the sequential number of the VIN. This should be just behind the distributor and on the left side edge of the block/bellhousing.

The "P" or "H" signify the engine-"p" is a 340 and "h" is a 383-both exclusive to the GTS only in the Dart lineup. The "S" as in "LS" signifies that it is a GTS. "23" is a 2 door hardtop and "27" after the "LS" is for the convertible GTS. LS23P8B would be for a 1968 GTS with a 340 built at Hamtramck, MI.

If you end up buying this car, please send me the info at the GTS Registry.
www.gtsregistry.com

I might already have it registered, or hopefully it will become a new entry and another GTS comes out of the woodwork.

-
Back