68 F/B rear seat carpet underlay ???

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
What do you guys use between the carpet and the metal on the rear folding seat of the fastback Barracuda ? I'm thinking 1/8 backerboard . Is that to thick ?

Mbaird, mine still had the original thin paperboard. I'd use the same thing again if I were you. It is about poster board thickness actually. Or it is like thick paper. Anything too thick will bulge the carpet and make it tough to get the chrome side strips screwed back on correctly if you run the paper/board all the way to the end of the framework .
Tom

Thanks Tom, I took these seats apart about 2 years ago and put new seat covers on. The original paper board and carpet were in such bad shape that it was hard to tell what it looked like. I assumed it was some rigid type of thin fiberboard and that it's purpose was to provide a firm flat surface for the carpet to bond to .

Can you feel the grooves in the metal below the carpet on yours ?

Thanks Tom, I took these seats apart about 2 years ago and put new seat covers on. The original paper board and carpet were in such bad shape that it was hard to tell what it looked like. I assumed it was some rigid type of thin fiberboard and that it's purpose was to provide a firm flat surface for the carpet to bond to .

Can you feel the grooves in the metal below the carpet on yours ?

I used 1/8 thick Masonite (fiber) board on my cuda. I didn't won't to feel the grooves in the metal... I wanted it flush looking. I didn't have any trouble with re installing the trim. I used the old piece of thick paper to trace the shape on the Masonite. Worked for me. Good luck!

I'll try the masonite, Thanks

You can't really tell much in the pictures but this how it turned out.

The last picture is before... Ewwwwwwwwww!

Carpet 007.jpg

Carpet 008.jpg

Cuda boot area 070.jpg

Hey , I noticed that your wheel housings are vinyl covered vs. carpeted ..
Did you recover them or did they come like that from the factory ? I've seen both versions and I think I'd like to go with the vinyl . It gives a clean look .

Hey , I noticed that your wheel housings are vinyl covered vs. carpeted ..
Did you recover them or did they come like that from the factory ? I've seen both versions and I think I'd like to go with the vinyl . It gives a clean look .

It came from the factory like that. The cargo area of my car is fully carpeted now. The floor, sides, and the hatch. I screwed a piece of the masonite to the floor of the cargo area before I carpeted it. It is very sturdy now and does not have the humps. I was really proud the way it turned out. I need to take some pictures of it one day. I can't remember the name of the company that I got the carpet from but you can see in the pictures that it came pre cut, but I had to do some trimming of course.

Carpet 003.jpg

Carpet 001.jpg

Carpet 004.jpg

Carpet 005.jpg

Those precut pieces weren't moulded were they ? I ordered a carpet kit with those pieces and they charged me 150.00 extra for non moulded pieces. I sent them back and bought a couple of yards of bulk carpet for a fraction of the cost.
How did you get the carpet to conform to the curves of the fenderwells?

Looks great !

Those precut pieces weren't moulded were they ? I ordered a carpet kit with those pieces and they charged me 150.00 extra for non moulded pieces. I sent them back and bought a couple of yards of bulk carpet for a fraction of the cost.
How did you get the carpet to conform to the curves of the fenderwells?

Looks great !

No they weren't molded.... just cut approximately the size for each panel. It would seem they would charge you more for molded that just the flat carpet. That's strange.

Contact cement is what I used. Also those black plastic clamps. I picked up a bag of them at Walmart in the home section. Clamp the s--t out of it and let it set for a couple of days. Don't be surprised if you have to re glue some areas. The side panels was the toughest going around the to corner of the panel. But it all worked out in the end. I'll take some pictures of it finished in the next couple of days and post it.

On the floor of the cargo area I screwed the masonite down to the metal floor first then carpeted it. I thought I would just mention that so it wouldn't be moving around on you.

-
Back