68 rear convertible panels

-

burdar

Owen's Dad
Reaction score
I'm looking for detailed pictures of the Layson's rear convertible panels. The picture on their website is small. Looking for close-up pictures of the front top section where it meets the door. Somewhere I saw a picture of a panel(don't know whose it was) that was rounded on the front top corner and didn't look crisp like the factory piece. My rear panels are pretty trashed and would like to see detailed pictures before ordering new ones.(they aren't cheap)

For those who have used them, how is the fit? Thanks

How bad are yours? Mine looked pretty bad, so I painted/dyed them with plastic paint. Color doesn't match well, but I used an off the shelf color (white) and everything else on the car is faded too. I suspect that all the rear panels may have been painted/dyed as opposed to modeled to each interior color.

Mine have cracks and chunks out of them. I was originally thinking about trying my hand at fiberglass repair on the back side. Now I just want to bite the bullet and get new panels if they look nice.

I'm not 100% sure how they were finished at the factory. People have told me in the past that the panels weren't originally painted in any way. I don't believe that's true. I think the black panels were molded in black...the red panels were molded in red...blue ex... Then any accent colors were sprayed. I've seen black/white, blue/white and maroon/white combinations on the rear panels.

My interior is white and the panels are molded in white. The upper and lower sections are sprayed with regular white paint to match the upper/lower door color. The center looks like it was pearl. I don't know if the panels were molded in pearl white or not. The original A-pillars show signs of pearl like they might have been molded that way too.

I'm going to spray the center of the new rear panels with Herb's Pearl White. Then the top will match the upper door white.(non pearl) I've already used Herb's paint on the plastic bucket hinge covers. I sprayed them with SEM white first, then sprayed the pearl over the top. They match the Legendary vinyl bucket seats very nicely.

Pearl on the left. SEM white on the right.
DSCN2549_zpsc23f00c9.jpg

Last edited:
I looked at the Layson's panels several years ago (maybe 2008 or so). Absolutely CRAPPY compared to the originals.

-
Back