68 valiant signet

-

mygasser

Reaction score
i'm making a start on pulling the motor and trans today. i'll get the motor out first so i can slide the trans out without removing the trans crossmember. that way i won't need to slacken the torsion bars off (not my first mopar rodeo ;) ).
the motor is a 383 originally from a '70 jensen interceptor, they came with a 383 and later a 440. i've bought some used schumacher headers as they'll suit what i need from the car.
updates later.
cheers, neil.

IMG_0009 (1).JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Last edited:
i'm making a start on pulling the motor and trans today. i'll get the motor out first so i can slide the trans out without removing the trans crossmember. that way i won't need to slacken the torsion bars off (not my first mopar rodeo ;) ).
the motor is a 383 originally from a '70 jensen interceptor, they came with a 383 and later a 440. i've bought some used schumacher headers as they'll suit what i need from the car.
updates later.
cheers, neil.

View attachment 1715211367

View attachment 1715211368

View attachment 1715211369

Sounds like it is ur first rodeo !

no mate, i fitted a 440 to a 65 dart a few years ago and i've been building customs and rods for over 35 years. i do like to make things easier for myself if i can so if you know an easier/quicker way please spill the beans. i post on these forums to learn new stuff, we're never too old to learn something new.
cheers, neil.

edit, it was a c body new yorker i had issues with to be fair. i was breaking it so wasn't worried but i've just been extra careful since and either loosened the torsion bars off or left the crossmember in situ.
neil.

Last edited:
You have to loosen the torsion bars to take the trans crossmember off? I’ve never heard of that nor have I ever done that.

yeah that's why when i did my 65 dart i left the crossmember in place and slid the trans out of the 'hole'. my thinking was better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
the torsion bar removal is news to me too
but then again, i never messed with a RHD mopar before....and i thought Jensen interceptors were only used in the mad max movies

my car is a lhd car from california mate. also the jensen interceptor is an english car, not of the same type as in the mad max movies. in the movies they were referred to as interceptors as they were 'police interceptors' as in police 'chase' cars. these are jensen's Yahoo is now a part of Oath

you guys are crackin' me up...
1 - Mopar A,B, E and probably C bodies don't need the T-bars touched to remove the trans cross member unless something very weird is going on. let's not even talk about bent-bar-cars :rolleyes:

2 - Jensen Interceptors are way cool English cars with Mopar drive trains, many of which were imported to the states.

3 - mygasser is correct about the Mad Max car. and that was an Aussie Ford

hey gasser, love the color on your valiant

DSC00696.JPG

you guys are crackin' me up...
1 - Mopar A,B, E and probably C bodies don't need the T-bars touched to remove the trans cross member unless something very weird is going on. let's not even talk about bent-bar-cars :rolleyes:

2 - Jensen Interceptors are way cool English cars with Mopar drive trains, many of which were imported to the states.

3 - mygasser is correct about the Mad Max car. and that was an Aussie Ford

hey gasser, love the color on your valiant

View attachment 1715211428
thanks for that, i'm still not sure whether i'll paint it green again yet. my 'plan A' was always gloss black but even dawn (the wife) likes the green. my only problem with the green is to paint it myself it'll have to be done bit by bit due to room here at home and i'd worry about getting the metallic green to match when it was assembled. at least with gloss black it'll all match.
re the torsion bars yes the c bodies need them loosening before removing the trans crossmember as they have a front clip with two 'arms' between the main rails. these have the torsion bars through them and the trans crossmember joins them in the middle to give them strength. i know from experience that they bend out of shape.
is that your car in the pic?
neil.

thanks for that, i'm still not sure whether i'll paint it green again yet. my 'plan A' was always gloss black but even dawn (the wife) likes the green...
re the torsion bars yes the c bodies need them loosening before removing the trans crossmember...
is that your car in the pic?
neil.
yes, my car. bought it here on FABO a few months ago from Darter6. never intended it, but all the a-bodies i've owned over the years that have been my favorites, have been green. apparently your ex-cali car is one i let get away :(
good to know about the c-bodies. there hasn't been one in my family since my grandfathers 67' 440 newport.

have fun with yours,
chuck

cheers chuck, i will do mate.
today started with a few overdue jobs on ashley's 66 ford zephyr. first was some chassis strengthening around the rear coilover mounts as i originally only fitted shock absorbers and the posty mate who bought it from me later fitted the coilovers to lift the rear some more. so, some years later we had several stress cracks. these got welded then the surrounding areas were braced with plenty of 2mm plate. while i was doing this ash' fitted new polybushes to the front tie rods as the sponge rubber ford ones were way past there sell by date.
with those jobs done we removed the engine and box from the valiant as it's being collected in the week. that all went well with no problems so i can start the mock up of the 383 next weekend.
cheers, neil.

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

IMG_0003.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

the s/six and box are being collected wednesday evening so i can clear up all the anti freeze and trans fluid in the garage
whistle.gif

then i've decided to mock up the 383/727 (make mounts etc) before i pull them apart for a freshen up, i'm not fitting the torque convertor either for this. reason is if i fit it all in i KNOW i'll just get it going and use it as is. i want to paint the engine bay and the engine/box so this way i have to take them back out and they'll get what they need before the final fit up.
well it makes sense to me anyway
wink.gif

neil.

s/six and 904 gone, now there's room to start the 383 mockup. i had a look and it has the stock single point dizzy which will stay. yes an electronic one performs a bit better but with spare points and condensor i will always get home. if an electronic module goes south it's a ride on the AA tow truck. it's not being built as a race car so i'm happy with points ignition and a carb for fuelling.
neil.

s/six and 904 gone, now there's room to start the 383 mockup. i had a look and it has the stock single point dizzy which will stay. yes an electronic one performs a bit better but with spare points and condensor i will always get home. if an electronic module goes south it's a ride on the AA tow truck. it's not being built as a race car so i'm happy with points ignition and a carb for fuelling.
neil.

I`m still having trouble why ur afraid to pull the trans. crossmember. 4 big bolts, and the mount !

I`m still having trouble why ur afraid to pull the trans. crossmember. 4 big bolts, and the mount !
i'm not, i've been enlightened. i had issues with a 'c' body i was breaking years ago (they don't have a continuous frame section over the crossmember) and was just being extra careful. i've been reassured about the structural integrity of the 'a' body in that area so yes i removed the crossmember. cool. you can stop worrying about me now mate, lol.
cheers, neil.

i'm not, i've been enlightened. i had issues with a 'c' body i was breaking years ago (they don't have a continuous frame section over the crossmember) and was just being extra careful. i've been reassured about the structural integrity of the 'a' body in that area so yes i removed the crossmember. cool. you can stop worrying about me now mate, lol.
cheers, neil.
ATTABOY !

unfortunately yes, but they were replaced with chrome moroso ones which will do for now.
too bad, those jensen vc's are nice. what's the plan for motor mounts? going to weld some up?

too bad, those jensen vc's are nice. what's the plan for motor mounts? going to weld some up?
yes mate, i've got the brackets on the motor from where it was in the ford pilot so will remodel those to suit. re the jensen v/covers, most people using a jensen motor here in the uk will swap out the v/covers to make the motor look more american not british. strange :rolleyes:

yes mate, i've got the brackets on the motor from where it was in the ford pilot so will remodel those to suit. re the jensen v/covers, most people using a jensen motor here in the uk will swap out the v/covers to make the motor look more american not british. strange :rolleyes:
you should able to swap those ugly, leak prone MOROSO's for a set then :lol:

been sorting a wilwood brake kit for the front end. we're the wilwood official agents at work so getting what i want is easy. plus with lots of new 'old type' calipers i can get very cheap i'll order the kit without calipers and save even more. for the 9" axle on the rear i'll use the finned ally handbrake calipers we do with discs to suit.
cheers, neil.

progress will have to stop for a little while as i've just been given a 30' x 9' concrete sectional garage for free. and the guy even bought a new steel roof which he never fitted and that comes with it too
Thmsup.gif
. so i can get that erected on the property i bought from my neighbour and move my vintage rolls royce clone i built with my dad out of storage. i'll lose time on the valiant but the storage payments saved can be used to buy more parts so win win.

-
Back