69' 340, 71' rad, what else?

-

busboy

Reaction score
I'm piecing together my car over the winter. I picked up a 1971 rad in the fall to put in front of my 1969 340. I got the right water pump to make the rad hoses work. What else do I need to get everything to line up? Do the alternator, ps pump and crank pulley also need to be 70' and later or does any of the 69' stuff work?

Thanks Kim, I guess what I'm asking is, does pulley depth alone line everything up? Can I use the early components and bracketing with the later pulleys or does it all have to change.

the power steering will not bolt up to the newer water pump, you need 70 and up power steering pump/brackets, timing tab moved to the drivers side [can relocate by simply lining up current tab on pass side, then looking at drivers to see the line on the balancer to be in the same [opposite side] location, place tab there to 0.

Any chance that the p/s pump that's still bolted to the slant I took out would bolt up? It's a 72'.

It was a 5/8.

OH but wait....you didn't know that a 2'' hose clamp doesn't have the notches to adjust to a 5/16 or 3/8..

geezz....all u got is a poke over a hose clamp??
ha ha ...a day with stroked 340-wake up alone soaked in pee pee...then off to the computer so he can hassle someone over a hose clamp..... bwaaaaaaaa!!!!!
........that won't fix yer incontinence.

thats another post you've wet yerself in, good going...

Yeah, that's crossed my mind, I gotta dig around and see what I can find. Thanks.

What about the 70 & later timing chain cover. The timing marks are 90° off of the pre 70's style. Also get the harmonic balancer so the timing marks are compatible. If the pulleys bolt up to the balancer, you can reuse the old ones. Some had symmetrical and some nonsymmetrical bolt patterns for crank pulley to the vibration damper. The 70 & later timing chain covers moved the water outlet to the opposite side for the lower radiator hose.

You kinda have to use them as a set: Timing chain cover, water pump, vibration damper. The pre 70's are 90° off of the post 70's. Sometimes the pulleys will go on both.

-
Back