'69 340 engine

-

rm69dart

Reaction score
Need help. Does anybody know where this bolt goes? Its 7/16 head, its a hole in the middle of the bolt. Thanks.

Attachments

• get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 516
  • get-attachment-2.aspx.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 394
  • get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 367
If the hole is completely through the bolt I believe it is a modified bolt because I have never seen this before. It does look like a cam thrust plate bolt. Maybe someone was thinking of more oil on the timing chain.

ok, they came with either the bolt with hole [go's in the upper left hole if ur looking at the motor] or a drip plate////or both.

the oil comes from the valley, runs through and then drips onto/or is drawn onto the timing chain and or drip plate, the drip plate just aims the oil run off at the chain.

Ive drilled my own, I like the lil hollow bolt and plate.

but as long as u have one or the other...you'll be good.

ok guys thanks i am still a little puzzled. i got this engine all in pieces and all the bolts in a bucket. oh and the hole goes threw the bolt.

It is for the camshaft thrust plate. The one with the hole goes into the top hole on the passenger (even bank) side. This allows oil from the lifter galley to come through and oil your timing chain. There should be three more just like it without a hole for the other holes on the thrust plate.

They have used a few variations for oiling the timing chain. One was the bolt with the hole in it like you have. Some engines had a bracket that bolted in three of the holes for the thrust plate and a tab that went into the passenger (even bank) lifter galley and you did not use a bolt in that hole location. The third way was to just use three bolts on the thrust plate and leave the bolt hole on the passenger top open for oil to come through.

Cam thrush plate bolt. Upper rt bolt. Left if you are looking straight @ front of block. They did come that way. I have 3 of them, and highly doubt someone happened to drill all 3.

I'm surprised I never seen one of these, maybe I have and just never put 2 & 2 together. Good to know!

I am looking at my 1969 340 and it is cam thrust bolt , bottom bolt oil filter side on my engine . There is only one bolt with hole in it on my thrust plate .

ok, they came with either the bolt with hole [go's in the upper left hole if ur looking at the motor] or a drip plate////or both.

the oil comes from the valley, runs through and then drips onto/or is drawn onto the timing chain and or drip plate, the drip plate just aims the oil run off at the chain.

Ive drilled my own, I like the lil hollow bolt and plate.

but as long as u have one or the other...you'll be good.
Oh yeah now I remember this is correct placement I'm pretty sure. I remember that bolt now and I put it with the drip plate. The main thing is the slinger at the crank. I have pulled engines apart and said to myself wow! How did this ever survive without it. Anyway that is what I have always referred to it as. The thin disk plate that go's onto the crankshaft behind the timing chain cover, it is an easy thing to forget about. I forgot about it once and had the cover all bolted on and then walked over to the bench to get the balancer and said damn, 1 step forward two steps back:violent1:

-
Back