'69 340

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I bought my '72 Duster 340 back in '79 with this motor in it. It has a casting date of 1969 and the motor ID number is 93347508. I have the complete motor (disassembled) with the exception of the forged crank which I've pilfered for the '72 340 I'm building, but have not yet installed it...for the right price it could be reunited with the motor. I've been holding on to this motor for 40 years as 'spare parts' but it came out of something, not sure what, and if one of you guys is searching for a numbers-match, feel free to PM me. Otherwise I'll continue to hang on to it. Not interested at the moment in parting out the engine.
50811082161_44993e3fb8_4k.jpg

More than likely that is or is supposed to be a 9B347503, not 93347503 since it's a 69 block, and starting in 1969, the last 8 digits of the vin were stamped on engine, trans, and 2 places on the body shell. 9B would be model year 1969. B would be Hamtramck Assembly plant then the 6 digit sequence number would follow Appears double stamped like somebody screwed up doing it, then put the correct die in and stamped it again.

Is there a way to trace back the S/N to ID what model car this came out of (A, E body, etc)? Might be someone on the sister forums looking for this S/N engine as well.

Is there a way to trace back the S/N to ID what model car this came out of (A, E body, etc)? Might be someone on the sister forums looking for this S/N engine as well.
It would be out of an A-Body for sure, the E-Bodies didn't appear until the '70 model year, and the B-Bodies in '69 didn't have the 340 as an option.
And of course, never in a C-Body or pickup.........

Nobody? I'll keep this thread active but for now, holding on to the engine & parts.
I believe you were right about the second digit being a "B" for Hamtramck but it sure is a weird casting. It looks like a 3 that was made into a 5.

That does look weird how it looks like a 3 restamped to a 5, when it "should" be a B.
Close to my missing one. "9B352197"
On the front ds right below where head mounts is some more stamping info. Might shed more light?

Well, it's a 9B motor so definitely out of a '69 A body

I believe if you look on the Hamtramck Registry there are vins of cars that no longer exist and you might find that this motor is an orphan.

It would be out of an A-Body for sure, the E-Bodies didn't appear until the '70 model year, and the B-Bodies in '69 didn't have the 340 as an option.
And of course, never in a C-Body or pickup.........

Yes, Challengers were made in Hamtramck....

-
Back