69 383 barracuda

-

baracus

Reaction score
Hey guys new to the forum and would appreciate the help. I am about to purchase a 69 barrasuda 383. My questions start with is it a formula s or cuda. i thought you couldnt have both on the same car but this car has both emblems. the vin verifies it as a 383 car but the fender tag is gone. The build sheet is partway there with the vin on it, the drivetrain is numbers matching. How do I tell which package this car has without the fender tag. the car is a 4 speed, has the hood scoops, disk brakes, 383 s emblem on fron fender, and cuda 383 sticker on back fender. Any info would be greatly appreciated,

aloha! I can't help ya...but someone will. Welcome to a great site!

BTW I don't like the fact there is no fender tag....to many possible scenarios for it not being what you are told it is.

Aloha Mike

The best to my knowledge, I have the orig fendertag with my "S" is there is A53 on the fendertag. If it is a "cuda" it should read A56. I havent been able to find the buildsheet with my car, so I dont know how it gets laid out on paper, only on the tag. Cool find either way, especially it being a 4 spd. Post pics once you get her home!!

Steve

One more thing, if it is an "S" the trunk trim should have the formula s emblem on the pass side as well as different paint colors on it versus the normal barracuda. (I believe the majority of the panel is painted black and has red horizontal stripes. On the front fenders it may have 383-s or it may have the stripe with the 383 engine callout.

I,m not sure on the 69 Cuda,s,but check on the trunk rail under the rubber for #,s or on the rad support?Good luck.

How about this, the fact that the vin says its a 383 car either means its a formula s or a cuda? Am I correct? Could you get a 383 without a S or cuda package?

I am pretty sure the twin hood scoops identify it as a 'Cuda package.

Welcome to Fabo, and if you are already sick of that car, I will take it. :-D

What all do you have left of the buildsheet?
To answer your question somewhat the "S" designation was applied to 340 and 383 cars in '69. The 'Cuda package was a 4 speed trans, dual exhaust with chrome tips, a rallye suspension, the twin scoops, a blacked out grill and stripes with callout on the hood.
So possibly could have both badging, formula S 'Cuda.
Hope this helps, more will chyme in to help you.

Welcome to FABO.

What all do you have left of the buildsheet?
To answer your question somewhat the "S" designation was applied to 340 and 383 cars in '69. The 'Cuda package was a 4 speed trans, dual exhaust with chrome tips, a rallye suspension, the twin scoops, a blacked out grill and stripes with callout on the hood.
So possibly could have both badging, formula S 'Cuda.
Hope this helps, more will chyme in to help you.

Welcome to FABO.

Hmmm, I agree with most of that. Except I had a buddy who had a real Cuda package 69 fastback, with an automatic. It wasn't some clone either, he had it way back when, and only sold it about 15 years ago.

I believe the 'cuda package was marketed similar to the Swinger package in 1969. Generally lower optioned with the the stripe package. And yes, I also have seen (and tried to purchase) a red '69 Cuda 340 auto. And not all grilles were blacked out on the 'cuda package, it depended on the color. Also engine callouts were only stickers on the lower fender above the blacked-out rocker and stripe.

Grant

Although anything is possible, I have never seen or heard of Formula S and 'cuda packages used together.

Hey guys thanks for your help. I'm picking the car up tomorrow(Tues). I will post some pics and will be asking alot of questions so get ready! I am pumped to get another mopar, its been about 14 years since I've been in the hobby and I finally got another one.

-
Back