69 Barracuda Clutch Shake Help Needed.

-
Thanks for the follow up!

I was under the impression 4speed cars got the front boxes as well! Now I wonder which year/combo got them! Just 68 SS cars?

A Hot Rod article indicates routine box use for factory 440, 426 H, and converts. But that includes b's and c's and does not mention anything pertaining to rear / fronts vs. rears only. I haven't really tried to find the rational on why one and not the other for my 383 4 spd. I expect it was a build cost factor and if it don't need it don't do it sort a deal.

What about the tail shaft bushing and or slip yoke? Not sure if it had been mentioned previously.

What about the tail shaft bushing and or slip yoke? Not sure if it had been mentioned previously.

Those are definitely things to look at. When we had the tranny out I did push on the tail. It didn't seem to have allot of play but I didn't compare it to anything to justify what I thought about it.

Well I started this thread back in May and after lots of new parts and work on this car, I'm still shaking on easy take off and hard launch. Not all the time but it's still there. When I added the 6 degree shims after the super stock springs didn't cure the issue I thought at least I had the ease out shake behind me but after driving it the last few days, it is still there at times. Back to the drawing board I guess.

So how many miles have you tried to seat it in. Lots of changes for sure. Work it hard and soft for a week or two and re-evaluate!

No friends with a GoPro. They are cheeper than the parts, labor and time you have invested thus far.

No. No GoPro. Wish I did at this point. I'll be heading to the Norwalk Monster Mopar next Friday. May try to snag Wayne Brewer in the pits and see if he would have time to look at it at his place in Ohio. I think I also need another set of eyes looking at it and even driving it to see what the deal is.

This weekend though my thoughts are to pull the axles and the 3.23 sure grip gears. Just take a look and see if anything appears abnormal. I've got a spare set of 3.23 gears though a one legger. That won't matter in this situation though with it shaking at ease out. I'll probably stick those in just to eliminate the idea of it being a rear gear issue. Opening the tranny could be next.

Sounds like your pretty much through the 9 yards on this clutch/shake deal Tim .
A couple outside the box things of note.
_In one 4 spd shake experience I found my pressure plate was off center in the clutch cover. It wasn't much either but evident to the eye if you were looking for it.
_I bought new from Chrysler DC/MP a new 10.5" B&B setup. In their chassis book they describe a fixture for checking clutch finger height. Basically a .310" disc with a 1.700" high standard. I already have a depth mic so I had the toolroom at work make the disc. Bolting the cover to the flywheel on the bench with the disc between, I found one finger almost .050" out and the other two within .004" of the 1.700" height specified in the book.
_One friend had a locating dowel missing for the block to bell alignment. Did you happen to check your run out of the bell?
_Any evidence of metal in the trans or rear lube.
_Maybe get the old plumb bob out and check for frame and axle square.

I did check early on to make sure the dowels were present in the block. Those are there.

I haven't checked the rear gear or tranny lubes yet. That's part of my next check, pulling the rear gears. I'm just having trouble wrapping my mind around a tranny or rear gear issue with the car running great down the highway with no hums, clunks or funny noises.

-
Back