69 Dart fuel system question

-

Darius

Darius
Reaction score
have/get a very strong fuel vapor odor in my Dart. At the very top of the filler tube, just inside the qtr panel is a vent tube with a short (1-2") piece of black fuel line hose clamped to it. This hose is open, not capped or plugged in any way.
A buddy in our club gave me a strangely bent piece of hard tubing that he took off of another Dart, a 67 I think he said, mine is a 69.
I could not find in my 69 parts book diagram anything like this tube. It actually fits from the "nipple" to the grommet at the trunk floor where the filler tube goes through.There is no hole in the grommet that would lead me to believe this tube should penetrate there.
Any thoughts or direct knowledge of how this is supposed to be?
It sure does not seem like it should be open for fumes to just collect in the trunk and car interior.

Thats where it goes. It runs right along the side of the filler tube.

What happens when it gets to the bottom? Is there supposed to be a hole in the grommet thru the trunk floor or should there be something there to insert the bent tube into?
It does fit like it should be there and there are clips on the filler tube to secure it, on my car anyway, there is no obvious penetration or ending point.

I'll get pics and details for my 68 tomarrow if someone else doesn't chime in sooner.

It's diagrammed right in the FSM. You can download one here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

It runs down along the filler tube, down through a hole in the plastic? rubber? cover on the trunk floor and ends INSIDE the frame rail. That is, there's a hole in the top of the rear frame rail, it just pokes down in there

VERY important to have a tight seal around that floor gasket to keep fumes out.

2mqnmo6.jpg

awesome, thank you!
I guess I'll just have to poke my own hole in the floor gasket as there is not one there now.

-
Back