69 signet distributer conversion

-
Reaction score
Converted my 69 170 to electronic Ign. The cap fits but the spring locks are to short. Checked the cap to a 74 225 Dist. and it fits but not the one installed. Are all slant 6 caps the same?

IIRC they are but you can get a longer rotor for some reason....60 to 87 is same cap part number!

IIRC they are but you can get a longer rotor for some reason....60 to 87 is same cap part number!
It fits perfect on a 74 dist. I did switch rotors and it did not help but it seems that the rotor is to high as I see marks around the center button and I could feel something contacting cap when I was setting timing. Felt like the cap was off center. thought i would see rotor strikes on towers but i found scratches around center button instead. Perhaps both rotors are high. Thank you I will check this out. With the quality of parts people today I may try grinding the bottom of the rotor first.

Gets stranger as the 74 rotor is cut deeper on the inside. It rides high also bc the rotor key is wider and it will not drop all the way in. Bought the whole kit to avoid issues like this. I have a rotor issue now. Prolly end up dropping the 74 Dist. in.

bad QC on the parts you bought..... more and more common these days

I would start with the DISTRIBUTOR. Where did you get it. WHAT is it? Is it so called "rebuilt"? Is it made in China "new?" Start there.

Bought it on ebay 5 years ago. Prolly chinese junk. I could have just swapped the reluctor but I took the gear and o rings and put them on a 75 dist. and dropped it in. The sad part is you can take the parts you need for this off any old duster. It was supposed to be new but the marks on the adjustment plate give it away.

-
Back