69 van 8 3/4

-

mopar marc

Reaction score
Hey guys I have the chance to grab an 8 3/4 out of a 69 van how much will this have to be modified to fit an a-body? thanks guys

i think the spring perches are on top of the axle housing , if so they need to be put on the bottom, the only other thing i can think of is the length, you can measure that before you buy it, or just figure on having it shortened

i'm not sure, but i thought i had read somewhere, that these vans were based on a-body chassis. as stated the spring perches are mounted on top of the housing. i would check the width, let us know if its right.

mikedevore said:
i'm not sure, but i thought i had read somewhere, that these vans were based on a-body chassis. as stated the spring perches are mounted on top of the housing. i would check the width, let us know if its right.

mike ..i think you may be correct, i am not sure but i think i used a van rear in a dart a few years back, cant say for sure it may be the same as a b- body
either way it did fit , i just dont remember how well.....

Marc, mixing and matching rear housings is a great way to get a good setup if you're looking to get the rear suspension/chassis dialed in just right for a custom ride. You're gonna want to re-weld the perches anyway to set the pinion angle correctly for your combo. Just make sure to give the shop accurate measurements to fit the chosen axles if narrowing the housing is called for. Best way is to give them the axles and housing with the center in it and ask them to make it fit. Going rate for narrowing a housing is $110 around here. Here's a couple of links to some discussion and pics of how I did it with a C-bod rear:

http://66.17.171.114/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Duster.htm

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=8172

Thanks for the info guys I am picking up the van next week its only 50 bucks so its worth the shot. I will let you know what I come up with. Marc

-
Back