7 1/4 rear. need some guidance

-

schmoe12345

66 cuda'
Reaction score
the guys here tell me i have a 7.25 rear axle, sure grip. it has 9 bolts on the cover. I am reubuilding a 1966 barracuda, probably go with a crate 360, 300-350 hp. it has the factory 4 speed tranny. is this enough rear end for the combo. I drive easy, most of the time, but would like to get on it occasionally, whatcha think....

you need to replace it with an 8-1/4 or 8-3/4 before you put your motor in, especially with a four speed. The 7-1/4 was designed for the slant six motors primarily and have very weak spider gears. Save yourself the headache and change it as soon as you can.

Save yourself a big headache when that lil'rear breaks up and ethier locks up the wheels at speed or sends an axle out the side dropping your car to the ground like a Mike Tyson punch to a kids head dropping him dead and your 1/4 panels on the floor sending you into a spin you can't control.

Nevermind, I wanna see you on the 5 O'clock news....................

the guys here tell me i have a 7.25 rear axle, sure grip. it has 9 bolts on the cover. I am reubuilding a 1966 barracuda, probably go with a crate 360, 300-350 hp. it has the factory 4 speed tranny. is this enough rear end for the combo. I drive easy, most of the time, but would like to get on it occasionally, whatcha think....

Junk that weak kneed piece of crap before it hurts you or someone else.

hey, thats a nice huffy bike, ha,ha....ok, ok. I guess i need to beef up the rear, I will keep looking for an 8.75. thanks for all the posts...Joe

-
Back