7.25 carrier won't come out

-

mopodge

Reaction score
I'm trying to pull the carrier out of a 1974 7.25" differential. I have the axles out. It seems that the hex adjusters are holding it in. How do I back the adjusters off or otherwise get the carrier out?

a special tool inserts where the axle goes, has a hex on it and loosens the adjuster...I made my own for my 8.25"
Poorman's way is screwdriver and hammer, tap to loosen, but crude at best...chews up the adjusters, especially when setting it back up

Do you insert the tool through the spider gears inside the carrier, or all the way through the axle tubes? I haven't done this before. Is the tool common/easy to find?

goes all the way through the axle tubes...I think ive seen them in the mopar magazines for sale...

The hex is 1 3/8 inches. You can use a old torsion bar (I think "B" or "E" body). An "A" body torsion bar will not work, the hex is too small. I made a tool from an "A" body torsion bar, by welding a nut with the 1 3/8 hex, on to the end of the bar. Then insert the bar in the axle tube, put a wrench on the hex on the end of the bar that sticks out, and turn.

-
Back