7.25 Gear Swap

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
BEING THAT I'M PLANNING TO KEEP MY 7.25 FOR A WHILE BEHIND MY MILD 318 AND 904 W/SHIFT KIT COMBO, I WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE SOMETHING. THE CAR, AS DISCUSSED BEFORE, IS BEING USED FOR CRUISING AND PERIODIC HARD ACCELERATION JAUNTS, BUT NOT DRAG DUTY. IT NEEDS TO LAST ME FOR QUITE A WHILE, SO IM TAKEN GOOD CARE OF IT AND ITS IN GOOD HEALTH. IT HAS 2.76 GEARS. WOULD 3.21 GEARS GIVE IT A LITTLE MORE RESPONSIVENESS AND MAINTAIN GOOD FREEWAY RPM'S? i CURRENTLY TURN ABOUT 2100 AT 65 MPH. I WOULD LIKE TO TURN NO HIGHER THAN 2700 WITH 3.21'S. IF I TOOK IT SOMEWHERE TO GET IT DONE, ABOUT HOW MUCH WOULD THEY CHARGE ME FOR THE PARTS AND INSTALLATION OF THESE GEARS? I KNOW A DIFFEREBT REAR WOULD BE OPTIMUM, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW.THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES.

why dont you like the idea of a different rear end?

find an 8 1/4 rear end with the gears you want and it will be much cheaper then putting some gears in that old rearend of yours.

I agree.....even with a mild 318 and a shift-kitted 904 that 7 1/4 rear is a ticking time bomb......there are plenty of 8 1/4 rears with 3.23 gears out there for cheap.....some guys will even give the 8 1/4 away.

7 1/4 is junk, get rid of it fast. You know if it breaks it could be on the 2nd to 3rd shift then you might land up wreaking the car and maybe yourself. Skidding sideways at 80 mph is not fun believe me I know the hard way.

I Dont Mean To Sound Like A Puss...i Could Do It, But Time Is An Issue, Plus Im Rebuilding My 340 S Cuda, But How Much Would It Be To Get My Hands On Every Thing Needed For The Swap To An 8.25 With 3.23's And How Much Would It Be To Get It Installed, Say At A Trans Shop Or Rear Shop? I Would Definately Like To Have This Rear If It All Can Be Done On A Poor Mans Budget.lol.thanks.

It's really a simple swap.....the change out the entire rear.....loosen the U-bolts, brake lines and shocks and driveshaft. It's gonna be cheaper and easier to swap to an 8 1/4 than swapping gears on that crappy 7 1/4 rear.

DO I NEED TO SHORTEN THE DRIVESHAFT? cAN I USE SOME OF THE BRAKE PARTS AND LINES OF THE 7.25? WHAT NEW PARTS CAN Y'ALL THINK OF THAT I WOULD NEED? HAVENT DONE A REAR SWAP BEFORE, SO I WOULD LIKE TO GET IT RIGHT.

Yeah, if you live anywhere near Denver you can have the one that's been taking up space on my garage floor for almost a year now. It's in perfect, complete condition, 2.76 open - free to anyone who will haul it away.

Ace, Does It Have Axles And All? Can I Use My Drums Or Does It Already Have Them? Does Driveshaft Have To Be Shortened?

It is complete, end-to-end right down to and including the lug nuts. Freshly painted in dark grey hammer metal finish too.

It has the smaller yoke. Whether or not your driveshaft works depends on what's in it now. If you have a 7.25 you'll need to shorten the shaft. That is easy and cheap ($50?) at Front Range Driveline down in Englewood.

The Only Problem Is That Im In California...if I Could Find Shipping And Purchase Shipping, I Would Love To Have It Junk Yards Have Too Much New Crap Around Here, So Finding One Has Been A Problem. If You Can Assist Me In Anyway, Please Let Me Know. Your Setup Sounds Like It Would Work.

The probelm is it is so heavy it will probably cost at least $100 to ship it. And I have to fuss around with palletizing it and paperwork, etc. - too much hassle, sorry.

-
Back