7.25 posi??

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
So I took the 7.25 out of my 66' canadian 2dr post valiant 225 3spd manual..

And to my suprize the rear was a posi.. I didnt gear as far as to read the gearing tag but I always had a hunch.. ya know.. it felt like a posi.. I couldnt do burnouts.. and it was always hard to feather it out.. and it ALWAYS had traction...

Anyone else have one? is this a popular thing for 7.25?
lemme know what you think...
I mean. I was suprized , ill have to look into that.. and ill let you know what gears it has.. and maybe I might keep it instead of selling it..

Cerwin

Not common, but I've sen a few. There not really up to much of an increase in HP.

Yeah, my '65 Barracuda has a 7.25" suregrip rear, small bolt pattern A-body size. It's a 3.23. I have the Chrysler IBM card from Chrysler historical too, and that shows it on there.

Once you go suregrip, you don't want anything else!

I just picked up an A-body 8 3/4" small bolt rear, suregrip (not sure of the gear yet) that will be going into my Barracuda, so my 7.25 suregrip unit will be for sale eventually.

what can i scab a suregrip out of so i can put it in my newly installed lbb 73 8.25???

Cerwin, what gears are currently in your 8.25" rear? If memory serves me correctly, the 2.45:1 gears in an 8.25" rear can't be exchanged for a higher gear set due to the design of the gears and housing. If you have anything higher that a 2.45 then I believe you can exchange gears as you like. I'll let some of the guys that have more experience than me with these 8.25" rear ends confirm or deny that theory, but check your gears in the 8.25" and confirm exactly what is in there now. :)

OldVart said:
Cerwin, what gears are currently in your 8.25" rear? If memory serves me correctly, the 2.45:1 gears in an 8.25" rear can't be exchanged for a higher gear set due to the design of the gears and housing. If you have anything higher that a 2.45 then I believe you can exchange gears as you like. I'll let some of the guys that have more experience than me with these 8.25" rear ends confirm or deny that theory, but check your gears in the 8.25" and confirm exactly what is in there now. :)

they are 2.45:1 and with my half dead slant and a-230.. its a hell of a take off.. ive seen parked cars move faster.

OldVart said:
Try releasing the parking brake. :)

Haha.. Oldvart.. no i havent even connected it yet.. im thinking i will install new ones.. but thats an entertainable idea in most other cases.

As for the 7.25 Posi they were offered as an option on all 62?-74 A-Bodies with that rear.They were mostly in the /6 HO models.
SSDA67 :thumbup:

On the 8.25 ? you should have started a new thread instead of hi-jacking this one.You would get more replies of people that know what's going on.
And Yes you need a Bigger Posi unit for the bigger gears over 2.45.This has to do with the width of the ring placement.
SSDA67 :lol:

Cerwin started the thread. (?)

You can get a sure grip unit from many palces. MoPar, Audurn, Eaton.
Ring and pinions from many places. Richmond, U.S.Gear, etc...
Installation kist from as many sources that sell the R & P gears.
MoPar still has the stock seals and small parts for the rear and a few upgraded parts.
Theres plenty out there for that rear. You'll not have a problem in finding parts.

Old vart is right about that 2.45 ring though. You'll need a new sure grip back there to do another ratio. But it's cheap and worth every penny.

what can i scab a suregrip out of so i can put it in my newly installed lbb 73 8.25???
The lingo is throwing me for a loop here.

If you look at the ads for parts there is a 7.25 posi. advertised for a hundred bucks.These are quite common I have scrapped several over the years as nobody wanted them. Damon.

rumblefish360 said:
The lingo is throwing me for a loop here.

Translation: What other rears can donate a suregrip and gears to put in the 1973 model 8.25" rear end, with large bolt pattern, that he just installed in his 1966 Valiant....I think. :thumbup: :)

OldVart said:
Translation: What other rears can donate a suregrip and gears to put in the 1973 model 8.25" rear end, with large bolt pattern, that he just installed in his 1966 Valiant....I think. :thumbup: :)

Correct, sorry for the twist of tongue.

i was quoted today $1800.00 on a set of 3.55 gears, suregrip, and no more then 5 hours(garantee) labour to install it.
mind you i didnt ask what they were.. but i do know its not an eaton posi.

Sound reasonable..?

Cerwin

OldVart said:
No, not reasonable at all!! You can buy a completely different rear end, complete with Suregrip and a close choice of gears for less than 1/2 that price.

Sid, Any suggestions where?
Are you talking used?
And up here in canada right?

Gears for an 8.25 cost under $200.00, a new Auburn posi is about $300 (tru-trac is under $200), a master overhaul kit is under $100.

Anyone, experienced at doing gears should be able to do the work in 2-3 hours.

A quote under $800 would be resonable.

Dave, that's about the price I had in mind - $800.00 to $1000.00 CDN Loonies. :)
Cerwin, there's lost of those 8.25's around, and a lot of them have suregrips and favourable gearing, so I wouldn't jump into that $1800.00 quote too quickly. Remember, you can build the rest of your car and the rear end can be the last thing you change. That should give you lots of time to find what you want without breaking your piggy bank. :)

actually with the 3 spd standard and the 2.45 gears.. its a real slug to drive and i looks to me that having to have my foot that little bit more into it to get it going is using a lot more gas then normal.. like a 1/4 tank a day.. i drive it all day long.. and it has me concernd

but i believe everyones advice so thank you.. im still getting quotes and ive come down 600 to a staggering 1200 installed with either 3.55 or 3.90 gears my choice.

Cerwin

-
Back