7" Degree Wheel at Front Damper

-

George Jets

1967 Dart 2 Door
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Made up a 7" degree wheel to mount to assembled engines at the front damper.

20210711_095355.jpg

20210711_103718.jpg

20210711_104253.jpg

20210711_121329.jpg

20210711_121630.jpg

Allows to see crankshaft keyway position when mounted up on an assembled engine. Can check valve timing events by taking off one valve cover.
20210711_130530.jpg

Can be used to show where maximum advance falls on the damper too.
20210711_123326.jpg

Have been wanting to get this made for a while now, good to get it done ready to use.

Engine in the car and you are wondering what cam you have, this tool can help figure that out.

☆☆☆☆☆

Asking a genuine question here, what is the reason for this?
To help degree an engine that was previously assembled or unknown. You could literally degree the cam while the engine is in the car. I thinks it's a great idea

Asking a genuine question here, what is the reason for this?

Yes as @ DartFreak75 stated above ^^^.

We have had a couple people that are unsure of their cam timing and how they did it when they built their engine, and if it was done correctly.

Now that the engine is built and all closed up they can't get in to see the cam gears and keyways and can't set up their degree wheel to check it either.

These smaller 7" degree wheels attach outside to the damper and person can check valve timing events by pulling one valve cover, measure the valve movement at the valve keeper washer with a dial indicator.

With a little skill and luck a person can tell what cam is in the engine, and if it is properly in time.

Beats opening up the engine if you don't have too. Can probably also tell that the camshaft peaks are staring to wear off and it is getting used up, as the lift numbers would be lower than the original specs. Like .390 lift when it should be .430 lift.

Sometimes people pull the heads off and are wondering what cam is in it, cause they don't know.

They can verify the cam chain is within tolerance by rocking the crank and watching the distributor rotor.

So knowing the cam chain is good they don't have to open up the front of the engine. But they still would like to know what cam is in there. So they can use the 7" damper mount degree wheel to find out.

Lots of uses for them, the more we play around with things here. Like being able to mark where maximum advance is on the dampener also.

Hope that helps . . .

☆☆☆☆☆

I like it but I have a question. How is it indexed to the crank? In other words, how it it held in the proper position? The bolt holes will allow at least a few degrees of slop, so how are you keeping the wheel in check with true TDC for the proper reference?

I like it but I have a question. How is it indexed to the crank? In other words, how it it held in the proper position? The bolt holes will allow at least a few degrees of slop, so how are you keeping the wheel in check with true TDC for the proper reference?
It would mostly be for reference only. It wouldn't be a replacement for degreeing a cam while building. It would be good for checking an engine in a car you bought but didn't know anything about what's in the engine.

It would mostly be for reference only. It wouldn't be a replacement for degreeing a cam while building. It would be good for checking an engine in a car you bought but didn't know anything about what's in the engine.

I agree. I think it's a great idea.

Bolts hold it tight in place and you line up the TDC reference mark and lock it down so you can wrench on the crank bolt for turning the engine over without the degree wheel moving on the mount.

I like the crank keyway reference notch that you can see when it is mounted up. That helps too.

The idea here is for shop use, or when someone comes in with a car and wants to know if their cam is timed properly. Not for permanent installation, it's a bolt on test tool.

Then you install the 7" degree wheel to take the valve timing events, record them, remove the degree wheel, and the car owner drives his car home to make decisions of what he wants to do next. Now that he has a better understanding of what his engine is all about.

Or if you buy a car not knowing what the cam is.

Also today we came up with the glue on numbers for the 318 and counter weighted 360 dampeners. Can be clear coated to seal them.

20210711_130530.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-165227_Gallery.jpg

20210711_163622.jpg

@dartfreak75 and I have been brainstorming about these today, he has been coming up with some good ideas.

He would like something for his 360 too.

☆☆☆☆☆

Accuracy comes with a large wheel when doing cam timing and using a piston stop.

Degree tape is what is used for ignition timing.

Your wheel will be great to do a quick check on either. But setting the cam timing alway goes with the old saying by my wife. Bigger is better.

DSCN0087.JPG

DSCN0088.JPG

Unless you're just stupid, you can do the same accurate job with either size wheel. The bigger wheels are simply easier to see.

Unless you're just stupid, you can do the same accurate job with either size wheel. The bigger wheels are simply easier to see.

The bigger wheels are more accurate to read. Since you saying I am stupid.

Its a stupid person that would disagree. Or someone who bought one or is making them. Sure they are the same degree . Think about what you are saying. And your calling me stupid. LOL.

1/2 degree off on the small wheel your almost touching the next degree. You could add 1/2 degree marks on the larger wheel and still see space. If your confident in the smaller wheel use it. You might want to just use a timing degree tape. Its the same thing just much cheaper.

We'll keep our 18" we have been using. Easier to line up and we can see it without our readers.

A quick search shows stupidity

Moroso 62191 Moroso Pro Degree Wheels | Summit Racing

Why is a larger cam degree wheel better?

When it comes to overall diameter of the degree wheel, you’ll find the least costly ones typically measure about 11 inches. As the wheel size increases, the cost goes up. But there’s a pretty big advantage to a larger wheel — they’re easier to read and as a result, can be more accurate than smaller ones. If you check out the accompanying photos, I’ve placed an 11-inch diameter Moroso degree wheel alongside a 14-inch diameter B&B Performance (Stef’s) degree wheel. You can see that the difference on the scale is considerable.
Degree-Wheel-6-1024x683.jpg

The one you have is only about a 7 inch. Ours is an 18 inch.

The bigger wheels are more accurate to read. Since you saying I am stupid.

Its a stupid person that would disagree. Or someone who bought one or is making them. Sure they are the same degree . Think about what you are saying. And your calling me stupid. LOL.

1/2 degree off on the small wheel your almost touching the next degree. You could add 1/2 degree marks on the larger wheel and still see space. If your confident in the smaller wheel use it. You might want to just use a timing degree tape. Its the same thing just much cheaper.

We'll keep our 18" we have been using. Easier to line up and we can see it without our readers.

A quick search shows stupidity

Moroso 62191 Moroso Pro Degree Wheels | Summit Racing

Why is a larger cam degree wheel better?

When it comes to overall diameter of the degree wheel, you’ll find the least costly ones typically measure about 11 inches. As the wheel size increases, the cost goes up. But there’s a pretty big advantage to a larger wheel — they’re easier to read and as a result, can be more accurate than smaller ones. If you check out the accompanying photos, I’ve placed an 11-inch diameter Moroso degree wheel alongside a 14-inch diameter B&B Performance (Stef’s) degree wheel. You can see that the difference on the scale is considerable.
View attachment 1715770800

The one you have is only about a 7 inch. Ours is an 18 inch.

Steve. Nobody said YOU were stupid. I was speaking in general terms.

-
Back