70-72 bumpers on a 73+ duster?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone done this and does it work out well??

I might be looking at a 73/74 tomorrow and it all looks good except the big chrome bumpers. I'm not much for chrome on anything and the 73+'s seem to have such large bumpers that it doesnt look right when they are painted

73 down is the same on the back allready. just 72-73 have the bumper jack slots. 74-76 is when the bumpers got shock mounts and the bumpers were longer.

then wouldnt that mean there isnt a problem using the smaller bumpers? or does it have to do with the grill?

I think it has to do with the lower grille support. I just did the '73 front end to '72 front end swap on my Scamp. Fenders are the same between '72 and '73. '70-'71 had the recessed marker light. So all you need is a '70-'71 hood, bumper, bumper brackets, grille, and lower grille support. '69 Valiant pieces will work too, but the grille looks different.

I think it has to do with the lower grille support. I just did the '73 front end to '72 front end swap on my Scamp. Fenders are the same between '72 and '73. '70-'71 had the recessed marker light. So all you need is a '70-'71 hood, bumper, bumper brackets, grille, and lower grille support. '69 Valiant pieces will work too, but the grille looks different.

good to know. chances are i'd get a reproduction shark tooth grill anyways.(kinda like those better)

I'll let you all know how it pans out.(fingers crossed)

OK I watched this thread to see where it would go and I will give you a run down of what you need and what is interchangeable.

#1. If you have a 73 then the rear bumper is the same as 70-72 but the front is different. Only 72-73 has jack slots.

#2. To make a 73-up into a 72 you will need grille, hood, grille support, bumper with brackets. Also the taillights and taillight panel will be different.

#3. If you want it to look like a 70-71 then you are gonna need the 70-71 fenders as they have different marker lights. And the parts from list #2.

You can also alter the 72-up fenders by welding in the correct 70-71 marker piece.

Hope this helps

OK I watched this thread to see where it would go and I will give you a run down of what you need and what is interchangeable.

#1. If you have a 73 then the rear bumper is the same as 70-72 but the front is different. Only 72-73 has jack slots.

#2. To make a 73-up into a 72 you will need grille, hood, grille support, bumper with brackets. Also the taillights and taillight panel will be different.

#3. If you want it to look like a 70-71 then you are gonna need the 70-71 fenders as they have different marker lights. And the parts from list #2.

You can also alter the 72-up fenders by welding in the correct 70-71 marker piece.

Hope this helps

It certainly does help. Thank you. I'm not going for any kind of 70-72 clone. My big beef with the 73+ is just the big bumpers and that they don't look all that good when you paint them. I like the 70-7x(whatever the last year) taillights and everything else.

Check out 1973 duster oregon. Restoration That is what i am doing;

IMG_4972.jpg

well the duster was a wash :(. I called this morning and the guy had sold it just a day or so ago. But oh well, i've got plenty of time.

-
Back