70-76 Demon,Dart sport,Duster Pictorial History

-

7demon2

Registered User #1824
Reaction score
This thread is going to attempt to show a definitive pictorial history of the 1970-76 dartsport ,demon, and duster. the pictures here represented will show different years, and the different stripe packages that were offered. the pictures i gathered here are for reference. i looked through hundereds of pictures and chose only the ones i know are authentic. some are going to be debated i am sure, but i will not post pictures of cars that are not correct. i tried to use as many pictures from factory brochures, or original promo shots as i could. quality will not be great on some but the message will get across. i will try to give a brief description of each car and the information that pertains to it.

in 1971 the Demon was born. it lasted 2 years only. in 1971 the demon had 1 offspring. it was called the Sizzler. it was a Demon with a 318, or slant 6. it had many demon 340 options as standard but with the lesser engine combos.the sizzler never had scoops. the hood scoops on a 1971 demon 340 were 2 single scoops placed on the sides of the hood. the hood had 2 black striped that ran the length of the hood. the sides of both the 71 demons shared the same stripes. the 1972 demon 340 came with the same side striping as the 71 but it borrowed the sizzler's stripe pattern for the hood both the 71 and 72 had solid striping on the back that surrouned the tail lights. the sizzler's name was removed as well. the hood scoops for the 72 demon was changed to a twin snorkel scoop. the sizzler was gone for 72, and at the end of the year so was the demon.

first picture is a 71 340 demon, second picture is the 71 sizzler, the last picture is the 72 340 demon.

1971 demon.jpg

1971 demon sizzler.jpg

72 demon.JPG

next we will get into the Dart sports. the Dart sport arrived in 1973. it was the replacement for the Demon. the dart sports were made until 1976. the 1973 dart sport 340 were basically demon 340's for 73. the same hood scoop was used again this year. the striping was changed on the hood for the dart sport. the 2 stripes were tightly placed and ran from the windsheild to a point on the hood. the side stripes were the new. these new side stripes would continue to be available through 76. the tail stripes for 73 were fine vertical lines. there was also a new stripe for 73 called the over the top stripe. it ran across the top of the roof down the sides to a point on the front of the car. the scoop on the dart was an option this year. it was only available if you got the blacked out hood stripes.

first picture is the new spear stripe on the side. the second picture shows the hood stripes. the third picture shows the rear stripe. the last picture shows the over the top stripe. (hood scoop is incorrect for this package)

73 dart sport side.jpg

1973 dart sport.jpg

73 dart sport.jpg

73-74 dart over the top stripe.jpg

in 1974 the Dart sport was changed very little. the 1974 dart sport still had the side spear stripes , and the over the top stripe. the only change occured in the rear. the rear strip now had dart sport written in the stripe. this would remain unchanged through 1976. the hood scoop was gone in 1974. there was a new model introduced in 1973 called the "Rallye". it was again a high option dart with the 318 , or the slant 6. it came with the over the top stripe and had "dodge" on the rear quarters. this model continued through to 1974 unchanged then ended that year. 1974 also introduced the hang ten edition dart. it was a totaly different dart. it came only white and had a surfer theme. the interior was multi striped and was highly optioned. it was carried through for 1975 and it too met it's end

first picture shows the new 1974 rear. the next pictures shows the rallye model. the last picture shows the hang ten edition.

74-76 dart sport rear.jpg

73-74 dart ralley.jpg

74-75 hang 10.jpg

in 1975 the dart got some new stripes. the side spear stripes remained the same. the over the top stripes changed to a multi stripe version. the rear tail stripes still had dart sport written in it. the only other thing of intrest here is the introduction on the dart lite and dart lite special edition. the regular dart lite had the option of the side spear stripe. remember 1976? it was the bi-centennial year! many cars could be ordered with a bi-centennial theme. the dart was no exception. it was white and it had a full length multiple stripes that had an eagle at the front in blue. it changed to red midway through the car and ended at the rear . it also had the words "spirit of 76" just under the side windows the only other stripes available starting in 75 were shared by the duster. they ran at the bottom of the car and folled the contures of the body lines. these stripes continued across the back. these were not on the dart sport models from what i have been able to tell. the only picture i have of them are from a duster so don't jump on this! i know it's a duster! the only other thing of note is in 1976 the grille mounted turn signals were amber not clear!

first 2 pictures are of the new over the top stripes. the second is the stripes that ran down the bottom and across the back ( again it's a duster). next picture is a "spirit of 76" dart lite. last picture shows the front with the new amber signal lights.

75-76 dart roof stripe.jpg

75-75 dart sport.jpg

76 duster.jpg

76 dart spirit of 76.jpg

1976 dart sport front.jpg

Ok i have saved the difficult stuff for last. i know i am going to busts some bubbles here but here it goes. the duster came on the scene in 1970. there was only 1 model that year. the duster did not come with a hood scoop. it did have a special side stripe. the stripe for 1970 did not have "340" callouts. it also had solid stripes that covered the tail light area like the demon. in 1971 the duster got much wilder but solid. the side stripes changed to a much wider stripe. the stripes were solid and ran the lenght of the car. the word duster was in the stripe at the front of the car. the "340" callouts appeared at the end of the stripe. the duster gained a blackout hood option. the fimiliar 340 wedge stickers make their appearence. they only last 1 year. 1971 also saw the introduction of the duster twister. the twister was a highly optioned car with the 318 or the slant 6. the twister ran from 1971 through the 1974 model year. the twister had special side stripes and a black out hood. the twister had special side stripes with the dust cloud made in them. the word "twister" was in place of the engine callouts the 340 had. both cars shared the solid strips the covered the tail light area. hood scoops were available with a special blackout hood treatment. they were an option. there was also a special ladder stripe that ran in the middle of the hood.

first picture is a 1970 duster. the second picture is a picture of the 1971 hood wedge sticker. the third is a 1971 duster side stripe with the 340 callouts. the forth picture is a 71 twister. the fifth picture is th 71 twister with optional hood.

1970 duster 340.jpg

71 wedge stickers.jpg

1971 duster.jpg

1971 duster twister.jpg

FH000025.jpg

in 1972 the duster changed a little. the duster side stripe remained the same for 1972 . the "340" callouts also remained. the twister remained unchanged as well. the only thing new for 1972 was the gold duster. the gold duster was a more highly option car than the twister. it was more luxury oriented. it had no stripes it's first year only gold duster on it's side in gold lettering. the back was solid stripe also in gold as well.

the first picture is a 1972 duster front angle. the second picture is a rear shot of the same car.

1972 duster1.jpg

1972 duster rear.jpg

in 1973 it starts to get intresting. the duster changes it's stripes. the side stripes now open up near the fron and then close back just past the door handle. the "340" callouts remain as well as the rear strips. the rear stripes open up in the back now as well. they outline the rear panel. the gold duster for 73 gained a side stripe. it is a spear design. it will be used through 76 on different models. the twister changes its hood striping and scoops. the scoops were optional along with the hood treatment. the scoops were like the 69 cuda 440. they sat back on the hood in about the same place as the cuda did. the red and black pic comes from the dealer brochure for 73. it is legit! 73 also is the last year scoops were available for the twister. the side stripes are the same as the 73 duster.

first pic is the 73 duster side and rear view. the second pic it he front view of the duster. the third pic is the side view for the gold duster's new stripe. the forth pic is the factory pic for the 73 twister hood w/ scoops. the fifth pic is a 73 twister. the sixth pic is another twister (fin is incorrect).

73 rear.jpg

1973 duster 340.jpg

73-75 gold duster.jpg

73 twister.jpg

1973 duster twister.jpg

73-74 twister.jpg

in 1974 the duster stripe remained the same as did the rear. the only change is now the "340" callouts are gone. there were no callouts after 73! no "360" callouts. the gold duster remained unchanged. the twister lost it's scoops. the side stripe are the same as well. things were gearing down...

the first pic is a 74 duster side shot(scoop is incorrect). the second pic is another 74 duster side shot. the third shot is the gold duster again. no 74 twister shots but it is unchanged minus the scoops.

1974 duster 360.jpg

1974 duster.jpg

73-75 gold duster.jpg

1975 the duster changed the side stripe all together. the new side stripe will be used through 1976 but only on the 360's. the 318 , and slant 6 dusters will get the spear stripe used on the gold duster. the duster also got the same stripe as mentioned in the dart profile for 75. the lower body stripe that followed the contures of the body. it too lasts through the 1976 model year. in 1976 the duster gained 2 new models. the silver duster was introduced to take place of the now gone gold duster. it is a silver car with red top and red interior. it is a luxury car. the feather duster is the other model. it too has a bi-centennial special edition stripe kit but i cannot find any pics of one. i do have the feather duster. it comes either with or without the side spear stripe. the duster remained unchanged in it's last year. 1976 dusters also used the amber signals in the grill...

the first picture is the 1975-76 duster. the second pic is the special side stripe. that runs along the bottom of the car. the third pic its the silver duster (this is a factory prototype has incorrect signals not amber). the forth pic is the rear of the . the fifth is the feather duster. the sixth is the feather duster. the seventh it the duster front showing the amber signals

1975-76 duster 360.jpg

76 duster.jpg

76 silver duster.jpg

1976 silver dustr rear.jpg

1976 featherduster.jpg

1976 featherduster2.jpg

76 front.jpg

Wow 7demon2, thanks for the good work and information :headbang: Here's another Hang 10

1975_Dodge_Dart_ad1.jpg

Awesome job! Couple of questions. Were the 70-72 Dusters ever availible with buckets, console and floor shift auto? Also, were there any tailight changes in the 70 to 72 Dusters?

yes on the buckets and console with floor shifter. 70 72 taillights are the same

On my '73 Duster,above the 2 holes for the Duster badges,on both front fenders,there are 3 more holes. The only thing I can think they would be for,are Plymouth emblems. I don't remember seeing those on other cars,and don't see any in these pics. I'm planning on having them filled in. Any ideas,suggestions? By the way,this is an 'H' code car.

just a guess here. are the fenders the original fender? if not sure then i think that they might be from a 73 dart sport 340. this is the onlt fender that had the additional holes like you are talking about. i am not sure if they interchange. the dart for 73 said "sport" then above it it had "dart 340" only other choice is it is a 74 fender. the duster had "duster" with "360" under it.

quick way to tell the diff. between dart and duster fenders...the first pic is a dart and 2nd is a duster...if you look at the quarter panel wheel lip its like a duster...where as the Swinger wheel lip is like a dart fender

dart1.JPG

dust.JPG

I`ve only owned one Duster, it was a 73-340, and it was a long time ago, but I really enjoyed this thread. These are the kind of threads that make this site so cool. Excellent job 7demon2, it`s obvious you`ve done a lot of research to post all the variations of stripes,scoops,etc.. Here`s a 30 yr. old photo of my Duster with white side stripe with 340 logo and partial blackout hood.

scan0006 (Medium).jpg

OK, more questions. Was the '70-'72 Duster ever availible with the 8.75 rear end? What gear ratios were availible?

yes on the 8 3/4. 72 last year for that. 3.91 was the biggest ratio for 70-71. 3.55 for 72

i felt i need to add some additional info here. i had someone ask about the demon taillights for 1971-72. the taillights were the same for both years. they were vertical, and six individual lights per side. i also had someone point out the fact that 1975 darts and dusters had a 1 year optional rear trim piece. the peice ran across the back under the trunk. it was made from brushed aluminum.

the first pic is a 1971-72 demon.
the second pic is a 1975 dart.
the third pic is a 1975 duster.

72 demon rear.JPG

1975 dart rear.jpg

75 duster rear.jpg

Another 71 Duster "Twister" Pic. No scoops, 318....Restored to "near" original, Bought new by my father in 71...We still have the sales brocures and build sheets. I will see if I can get a scan on here soon...

-
Back