70 Dart exhaust tips

-

bnichols

Reaction score
Guys how far are they supposed to stick out from the valance? The ones in my car are rusty and stick way out there, I ordered a set from Accurate just holding them up to what is there now they set back a little but man seems like they really hang out there here is a pic of what they look like now
thumbnail_IMG_2953.jpg

That's the way I thought it should look I may have to modify my tip mounting hangers and move them back a bit

Guys how far are they supposed to stick out from the valance? The ones in my car are rusty and stick way out there, I ordered a set from Accurate just holding them up to what is there now they set back a little but man seems like they really hang out there here is a pic of what they look like nowView attachment 1715518420

Love that Chevy wagon in the background - a '69 with Rallyes?

That was a pic of the guys driveway I bought the car from that wagon was a other of his projects pretty cool looking have a soft spot for long roofs

The wrong tips are installed. Should have the 9Bs which are 14” in length. The picture appears to have the 9As which are 18” overall length. The brackets are also located in different locations between the 9Bs and the 9As.

They use the same tips as the 69 Barracuda (correct Tom?). I modified some longer ones to fit my 69 Barracuda but it takes different tail pipes and modification of the brackets. Easier to get correct tips. :)

Tom

Yes you are correct 68/69 Barracuda and 70 Swinger
have the lower valance which calls for a shorter exhaust tip and the upper hanger bracket is welded
4-1/2” from the exit end of the tip. Also if trying to install the incorrect longer tips you will find that the right tailpipe is too long as there is a compound bend
next to the fuel tank that prevents the tip from sliding forward. Like you mentioned, “Easier to get correct tips”. It can be done but why modify the tailpipes and the tip hanger bracket unless you find the challenge exhilarating and fun.

The factory hangers bolt to existing holes in the frame rails locating the correct tip in the proper location. Even 6 cyl cars have the holes for the factory brackets. Are you using the factory tip hangers?

factory specs were to have tips installed so they would not protrude past the bumper on any model....so you couldn't bump into or make contact with them. I think the shorter the better.

Last edited:
The wrong tips are installed. Should have the 9Bs which are 14” in length. The picture appears to have the 9As which are 18” overall length. The brackets are also located in different locations between the 9Bs and the 9As.
I ordered a set from you this is what I was sent

IMG_20200501_060647538.jpg

Here the new ones are on the car still sit out to far and I am using the factory holes in the frame

IMG_20200501_060701210.jpg

Heard from Accurate I have the wrong tips a set for 68-74 A body got sent by mistake they have sent out the correct ones so end of next week round 2 lol good guys to deal with!

Heard from Accurate I have the wrong tips a set for 68-74 A body got sent by mistake they have sent out the correct ones so end of next week round 2 lol good guys to deal with!

Wait, was that a typo that they sent you tips for a 68-74 A body? That's the type of car you have lol

Either way, glad to hear they're good to deal with. Will likely order a set to have on hand in case I get tired of my exhaust dumping before the axle.

The 68-69 cuda and 70 Dart use the same tip the duster demon 68-69 dart use the one they sent me

70 Darts used a one year only exhaust tip. It is not the same as the b'cuda tip, but that is what Accurate will sell you as correct. I have had this discussion with them for years. I even gave them a rusted factory tip that was correct so they could use it to produce a correct tip. They say that the stainless that they can get is not thick enough to produce the long box on a correct tip. I will post pictures of a correct factory tip, a reproduction correctly shaped tip that I got from Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips in Florida and the Accurate tip. When Accurate started producing the tips they offer in large quantities it put that small Mom and Pop business right out of business.

Let me make this clear -
I swear by Accurate Limited for exhaust systems that are well designed and executed. I have recommended them to many friends, but this one thing just drives me nuts.

First, these two pictures are of factory tips for a 1970 Dart 340
original tip 2.jpg
original 70 tip.jpg

This is a picture of a correctly executed tip from the now defunct supplier - Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips of Florida

correct repop tip 1.jpg
correct repop tip 2.jpg

This is the tip that Accurate Ltd will sell you, which they say is actually a correct tip for a late 60s B'cuda

incorrect A Ltd tip 1.jpg
incorrect  A Ltd tip.jpg

The box is too short on these and therefore the short box does not stick out far enough to avoid the majority of the exhaust stains that a correctly shaped tip would take care of. It never ooks right if the tip is so far out that more than the box is showing as the OP discovered.

Did not know that first I have heard or seen that, good info to know thanks for posting that! Yep your right I am sure Joel knows

Did not know that first I have heard or seen that, good info to know thanks for posting that! Yep your right I am sure Joel knows

bnichols - Do you understand how to alert someone to a thread (Joel)? I tried but I don't think I did the right thing. Please excuse my computer illiteracy!

1970 exhaust tip is one year only! The tip has the same dimensions as the 1968-9 cuda tip EXCEPT the height of the bracket! This is my original tip rechromed. These tips also fit the 1971-2 Dart Swinger Canadian Special 340

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Joel,
Do you know what the tip that Accurate is selling is actually made for? It looks too specific to be a random design.
incorrect A Ltd tip 1.jpg

-
Back