70 dart swinger slant turbo build and mild restoration

-
send me your email and Ill shoot you (or anyone) a dimensioned drawing of my Peesh-pipe. Its kinda rough but you can surely read it and make one from it, or 10 and sell them. I would like to get a set of plasma cut intake flanges for a 273 if you could swing it for a Pro-ram style intake. I could draw up a dxf file for your plasma man. HX35 is going to be pretty big for a slant but aim high! :cheers:

Yea if you have the file I'm sure he can cut it and I need room to grow with turbo and carb. I put my 70 up for sale but it's not my only a body so I will be continuing on with the build just not with that car which sucks but it's the nicest and my oldest daughter needs braces asap so I'll build one of my others

send me your email and Ill shoot you (or anyone) a dimensioned drawing of my Peesh-pipe. Its kinda rough but you can surely read it and make one from it, or 10 and sell them. I would like to get a set of plasma cut intake flanges for a 273 if you could swing it for a Pro-ram style intake. I could draw up a dxf file for your plasma man. HX35 is going to be pretty big for a slant but aim high! :cheers:

Where's the "LIKE" button????

That is mighty nice.... :cheers:

So I've got the dart up for sale on the classifieds so if u know anyone please pass it on and I'm still gonna build my 74 I think and put all the sheet metal off the 71 but neither are as nice as my 70 there's no rust at all which is a huge bonus

So I've got the dart up for sale on the classifieds so if u know anyone please pass it on and I'm still gonna build my 74 I think and put all the sheet metal off the 71 but neither are as nice as my 70 there's no rust at all which is a huge bonus

How does this all affect your long-range plans for a turbo slant six powerplant?

The build is still on just not on my 70. I have a 74 and I'm going to look at a 71 in a field today if the rain quits

The build is still on just not on my 70. I have a 74 and I'm going to look at a 71 in a field today if the rain quits

Since you are going to buy a car to build anyway, you might consider the fact that Valiants and Darts gained weight, consistently, almost every year, as time went by. Slant sixes are particularly affected by this situation because their displacement is initially so small.

I have a book that shows shipping weights of various models thoughout the early years. Shipping weights are usually 200-250 pounds lighter than curb weights, so are not actually accurate representations of what the cars are going to weigh in the real world, but, are a good way to compare various models when selecting them for projects.

For example, a 1961 Valiant 2-door has a shipping weight of a svelte 2,565 pounds.

A 1974 Valiant (Duster) has a shipping weight of 2,975 pounds (410 pounds heavier!

A 1974 Scamp (Dart body) is 3,010 pounds.

my 1964 Valiant 4-door is 2.575 pounds. A 2-door would have been 35 pounds lighter; 2,540 pounds. But, I couldn't find one for sale, so, I got the 4-door.

A 1971 Dart 2-door (Swinger) is 2,900 pounds.

A 1966 Valiant 2-door is 2,600 pounds.

A 1966 Dart 2-door is 2,670 pounds.

If you go by the old adage (which seems largely, true) that 100 pounds is equal to a car-length in a quarter-mile drag race, you can surmise that a '66 Valiant with the same engine (and, same body-style) will outrun a same-year Dart about 3/4 of a car-length... not anything you could feel by the seat of your pants.

You pays your money and you takes your choice!

If you need any more information RE: shipping weights, just ask.

Good luck! :cheers:

Well I drove the dart the other day drum brakes suck and my car runs like crap and has been hard to start I'm gonna get it running better and then I'm gonna get on with the turbo build I've been gathering parts. I've had to sell stuff recently to help pay for stuff for the kids but I'm keeping my dart.

Well I drove the dart the other day drum brakes suck and my car runs like crap and has been hard to start I'm gonna get it running better and then I'm gonna get on 28th the turbo build I've been gathering parts. I've had to sell stuff recently to help pay for stuff for the kids but I'm keeping my dart.

Well, you have made a good decision, I think.

If there is anything in the way of information you need, this is a really good place to ask!

It's gratifying to hear that you're still "on course." :cheers:

Good luck!

I just saw that you started this thread Jungles, I didn't notice it till now, but I am subscribing. Now what was this about giving away copies of those flanges for free? Cause I was just about to pay money for some. I got a rediculous manifold planned...

I just saw that you started this thread Jungles, I didn't notice it till now, but I am subscribing. Now what was this about giving away copies of those flanges for free? Cause I was just about to pay money for some. I got a rediculous manifold planned...

No manifold is ridiculous if it works.

Tell us about i! :coffee2:

I have a friend that can cut me the header flanges but he needs a copy of a dxf file to run it on his plasma table so if I can get a copy I'll cut and ship a set for free for a copy of the file.

I have a friend that can cut me the header flanges but he needs a copy of a dxf file to run it on his plasma table so if I can get a copy I'll cut and ship a set for free for a copy of the file.

So If I draw it out and transfer it to dxf, then he will cut it for me for free? I accept.

So If I draw it out and transfer it to dxf, then he will cut it for me for free? I accept.

Yep that way I have them on file cause I'm still planning on doing a limited production of turbo headers for the slant.

Yep that way I have them on file cause I'm still planning on doing a limited production of turbo headers for the slant.

I just wish that SOMEBODY who can weld mild steel tubing to cast iron, would, at least, build a J-pipe to bolt the stock exhaust manifold up to the turbocharger, like PISHTA designed. That would never flow as well as a real "header" but should be good up to around 350 horsepower.

That's more than most fplks would want in a street-driven A-Body, anyway, I think.

They could sell them online for $150-200, and put some money in their jeans...

I imagine the lack of a readily-available "header" or PISHTA-PIPE has probably discouraged a lot of foks from turbocharging their slant six.

That's really a shame....

Attachments

• js640_pishta.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 324
I have his blue print to build those I might just see if I can do it but can they be ran with power steering and ac? They are a super easy and cool idea but I think the room they take up might be an issue? Also I don't think u have to weld mild steel to cast because the j pile is all self contained just run a brace to hold the turbo. The headers I'm building are thick enough you won't need that brace there schedule 40 pipe about the equivilent of .120 wall tube

In my blueprint, there is a template to cut a section out of the rigid side of the motor mount brace so you can tack weld a tab onto the bottom of the bend and bolt it to the mount for added support if you feel you need it.
Curious to see what the difference would be between a 'true header' and 'The Pipe' in its ability to spool as heat loss plays a big part of velocity in the hot side. Some quick calcs show an almost 4:1 ratio of surface area between pipe and header given the header tubes being 1.5 diameter and only coming 3" off the head, collecting at the front with no collector factored into area. Pipe is about 110 in/sq vs 395in/sq of estimated header. And those remote turbo installations where the turbo is at the rear bumper?
C'mon.....look at all that heat being wasted!:banghead:

In my blueprint, there is a template to cut a section out of the rigid side of the motor mount brace so you can tack weld a tab onto the bottom of the bend and bolt it to the mount for added support if you feel you need it.
Curious to see what the difference would be between a 'true header' and 'The Pipe' in its ability to spool as heat loss plays a big part of velocity in the hot side. Some quick calcs show an almost 4:1 ratio of surface area between pipe and header given the header tubes being 1.5 diameter and only coming 3" off the head, collecting at the front with no collector factored into area. Pipe is about 110 in/sq vs 395in/sq of estimated header. And those remote turbo installations where the turbo is at the rear bumper?
C'mon.....look at all that heat being wasted!:banghead:

Are you suggesting that a PISHTA PIPE might actually sap less energy from the exhaust than a conventional header; enough to more than make up for its comparative flow restrictions? That's an interesting theory; I wonder how it could be proved? I'd change my car over to a PISHTA PIPE in a NY minute if that were the case...

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 299
Dunno Bill, i glanced at the thermal loss coefficiant of mild steel (not easy on a tablet) and it got my head spinning. Im not sure if the thermal loss can be calculated by looking at an intercoolers gains hp per degree. Maybe a thermocouple at each manifolds end to register degrees and use that data .Its just a theory but ultimately the velocity is going to hafe to factor heat, and the most constricted part of either manifold, which may very well be the turbo inlet itself. Ill actually wrap the pipe with header wrap to keep the beneficial heat in. I think we need to ask a nuclear propulsion engineer.....!

Dare ya go! wrap that rascal!
wearables.gif

Are you suggesting that a PISHTA PIPE might actually sap less energy from the exhaust than a conventional header; enough to more than make up for its comparative flow restrictions? That's an interesting theory; I wonder how it could be proved? I'd change my car over to a PISHTA PIPE in a NY minute if that were the case...

I can actually kind of see the reasoning there. To get a turbine to work efficeiently you need one side to be as hot as possible, then the other to cool off as quickly as possible, so the faster it hits the turbine before it cools off, the better. I can see why a long manifold may allow that cooling before it hits - plus you have all that much more surface area to dissipate the heat.

I'm still making a manifold for my new setup. But it will be really really short, and hit the turbochargers before they get too long.

I currently run the pipe as well. It works, but won't work as well for what I have planned.

I can actually kind of see the reasoning there. To get a turbine to work efficeiently you need one side to be as hot as possible, then the other to cool off as quickly as possible, so the faster it hits the turbine before it cools off, the better. I can see why a long manifold may allow that cooling before it hits - plus you have all that much more surface area to dissipate the heat.

I'm still making a manifold for my new setup. But it will be really really short, and hit the turbochargers before they get too long.

I currently run the pipe as well. It works, but won't work as well for what I have planned.

The clearances between the intake and exhaust pipes on my two "manifolds" are so close, there's just no room for a thickness of wrapping material in most locations, so, unless I change the hardware significantly, I am pretty much stuck with what I've got.

I WOULD change this to a different configuration if I was convinced that it would have a positive rersult on my quarter-mile performance, though... believe it! The fact that my car is ~just~ a race car, and never sees street time, might introduce factors into the rquation that would alter results; it is never run long enough at one time (sometimes, less than a minute at a time,) and, that may or may not change the heat-transfer/heat-retention characteristics of this present system, rergarding "wrap."

I dunno; it seems to work pretty well as it is, for what it is...:prayer::prayer::prayer:

-
Back