70 dart swinger slant turbo build and mild restoration

-
Bill, If I put as much time and effort into a turbo header that you have, I'd run it too!!! :burnout:

I wonder how the ceramic coating on the header plays into the heat transfer and dissapation? It would be cool if the pipe worked better than a header but I'm sure someone a lot smarter than myself has done some r&d to see the benefits of the cast iron over mild steel and even stainless for a turbo header design not just in a slant but in all turbo'ed applications? And with the steel I'm using which is the 1 3/4 schedule40 once it gets warmed up it's gonna move the heat farther down the pipe the longer the engine runs. the heat would transfer out the exhaust before it got so hot it melts stuff. Also I don't get why it would matter if your hot side was hot or cold look at the vortec superchargers basically a turbo ran off a belt instead of exhaust? But I know absolutely nothing about thermal dynamics or that sort of thing so I could be wrong?

Bill, If I put as much time and effort into a turbo header that you have, I'd run it too!!! :burnout:

Thanks, PISHTA! :blob:

However....

As the song says, "But, you don't know me..."

I'd dump this $1,000.00, ceramic-coated "work of art" in a heartbeat, if it were proven to me that somehing else, say, a PISHTA PIPE worked better.

I am "into" performance... not cosmetics.

'Nuf sed....

I saw the Mazda GTP turbo diesel Skyactive race car at the pits at the Long Beach GP. Carbon fiber body, all the high tech stuff, their compound dual stage turbo maniifold was a log! They also had a small turbo sitting on top of the larger turbo, crazy stuff to see on a serious race car. Sounded unique to say the least going by. That tiny diesel buzzing through 2 turbos, almost sounded like the Jetsons car.

I saw the Mazda GTP turbo diesel Skyactive race car at the pits at the Long Beach GP. Carbon fiber body, all the high tech stuff, their compound dual stage turbo maniifold was a log! They also had a small turbo sitting on top of the larger turbo, crazy stuff to see on a serious race car. Sounded unique to say the least going by. That tiny diesel buzzing through 2 turbos, almost sounded like the Jetsons car.

You are seriously dating yourself when you talk about the Jetsons. That cartoon came out in 1962... I was 24 years old in 1962, but I'd bet that at least 80% of the posters on this "discussion group" weren't even BORN in 1962! That was 53 years ago... LOL!

~I~ well-remember the Jetsons' vehicle, but most folks on this venue probably never heard of them... Tempus fugit... :glasses7:

I was born in the early 80s and watched the jetsons I feel like I was born in 52 lol

I got those exact flanges in the mail today. I wound up buying them but I'll try and draw them out, scan them, get measurements and transfer it to CAD then over to the file format your friend needs. I have a t3 flange now again if you'd like that as well?

I have the t3 flanges already just need the exhaust flange I could also have him cut the intake flange if anyone needs that I also have an extra set of header flanges I might give up too the 3/8 ones. Serj did you see the t3 flanges I had cut they are pretty cool and have extra material on the sides to give you more room to weld too. I really need to make some sort of form to get these pipes bent to port size so I can get that part done I was also gonna order some tight radius 90s to help me out I was also gonna run some tube through a rollers to get a longer bend for the outer cylinders.

Header manufacturers just tack weld the tubes in place then use an air hammer to form the tubes to the port opening once fixed to the flange. As seen on "how it's made".

Header manufacturers just tack weld the tubes in place then use an air hammer to form the tubes to the port opening once fixed to the flange. As seen on "how it's made".

That's interesting. Is that episode of "How it's Made" available on Youtube? I want to see it.

I've also saw another show that they had a forming die that they pushed them onto and it formed them that way but with how thick the pipes are with the ones I'm making it would be hard so I'm thinking of a combo of heat and air hammer with a little pre-forming on die of some sort. We'll I haven't made any progress my son that's 10 months got sick and has pneumonia so I've been in the hospital with him he has had other medical issues in the past but is doing alot better now but the sitting around time gives me alot of time to research and see what everyone else is doing and what's worked and what hasnt. I have disk brakes and the sheet metal I need I just need to go pick the stuff up then I'm gonna order my new front seat upholstery. Another member is gonna hook me up with electronic ignition which will make my car alot nicer to drive right now until I can buy the msd ignition stuff I need

My 3 year old had pneumonia a couple months ago. Lucily wound up uneventful except for the coughing. I know how it is, hope they feel better soon.

What electronic ignition are you going with? The mopar box thing?

You know, I have a MSD 6ALN box that I have zero intention of using. It's the 6al, but there's a clear bottom on it which is somehow for nascar - I don't know. I don't have the hook up harness, or rather - I did and now can't find it. The box did function. I'd let it go for whatever you want to pay for it if it'll work for your build. Shipping would probably be about $15 for a medium flat rate box anywhere in the u.s.

You know, I have a MSD 6ALN box that I have zero intention of using. It's the 6al, but there's a clear bottom on it which is somehow for nascar - I don't know. I don't have the hook up harness, or rather - I did and now can't find it. The box did function. I'd let it go for whatever you want to pay for it if it'll work for your build. Shipping would probably be about $15 for a medium flat rate box anywhere in the u.s.

My ignition system is a stock, Mopar electronic "Lean Burn" distributor, hooked to an MSD 6-AL II digital box and it works exceedingly well. It starts right up, usually on the first "crank," and has never EVER misfired. The car runs about 12-flat on 15 pounds of boost, so, I know the ignition system is doing its job. It is simple and effective.

Just sayin'...:blob:

Yea I'll buy it off you if I don't use it on the dart I have an old crew cab ford with a built 460 with all msd stuff I can use it on pm me and we will get the details figured out

I just wish that SOMEBODY who can weld mild steel tubing to cast iron, would, at least, build a J-pipe to bolt the stock exhaust manifold up to the turbocharger, like PISHTA designed. That would never flow as well as a real "header" but should be good up to around 350 horsepower.

That's more than most fplks would want in a street-driven A-Body, anyway, I think.

They could sell them online for $150-200, and put some money in their jeans...

I imagine the lack of a readily-available "header" or PISHTA-PIPE has probably discouraged a lot of foks from turbocharging their slant six.

That's really a shame....

My wife is going to be doing some fabrication of items for use on jeeps, and anything else we can come up with. The pishta pipe will be one of those things. It will probably be at least another year before we are actually selling anything though, at least in any large quantity. I am sure we can do some runs for the board though in the meantime. I'll be her first test subject for sure. She is a boilermaker, and a certified welding inspector, so it won't be a problem for her.

My wife is going to be doing some fabrication of items for use on jeeps, and anything else we can come up with. The pishta pipe will be one of those things. It will probably be at least another year before we are actually selling anything though, at least in any large quantity. I am sure we can do some runs for the board though in the meantime. I'll be her first test subject for sure. She is a boilermaker, and a certified welding inspector, so it won't be a problem for her.

I don't know how many PISHTA pipes there is a market for, but the problem will be getting the word out that they are available, and at a reasonable price. The header that went on my car (see pic,) was done as cheaply as possible, but by the time it was tack-welded, and then, T.I.G.-welded, and ceramic-coated, it cost a good thousand dollars. That is the alternative to a PISHTA pipe...

So, if I were going from "ground-zero" with a new project, and could be happy with 350-jorsepower (a ballpark-figure on a PISHTA-pipe's flow limitations,) I would look seriously at that as a viable (and, cheap, relatively,) alternative to a tubing header.

I don't know how much of a market exists for this J-pipe, but I am sure that several people on this board haave been reluctant to build a turbo slant, faced with the daunting task of building their own turbo-mount/exhaust system. There are problems enough, facing a turbo-slant builder; having an off-the-shelf J-pipe turbo mount would solve a BIG one... Go for it; I may buy one, myself... :cheers:

Attachments

• js640_100_3489-2.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 218
  • js640_js640_turboside.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 203
So bill is the distributor you have just a factory electronic unit and I'm almost just thinking of spending the $80 and buying a Petronics and replace my points any ideas anyone it sure would be nice if a company like msd made a billet setup for these things

So bill is the distributor you have just a factory electronic unit and I'm almost just thinking of spending the $80 and buying a Petronics and replace my points any ideas anyone it sure would be nice if a company like msd made a billet setup for these things

I have a second electronic distributor if you need one. It has a boost activated timing retard control bastardized on from an 80s turbo volvo. I'm using a different setup for mine.

Right now I have a points distributor with the pertronix conversion.

Bill. i think you are seriously underestimating the pishta pipe.

I may be; I have no hard performance numbers to go by.... What I was using as a tool for estimating potential power-output for this J-Pipe, was the two engines that have been proven to make virtually 500 horsepower, with a pretty well-designed, tubing header similar to mine.

The difference in what I estimated as a "ballpark figure" and the individual-tube header was 150 horsepower, and, that's a lot, but these engines are using a LOT of air (to make that kind of power,) and it seemed to me that at the exhaust flow levels that must exist at 5,500 rpm (the red line forr these high-horsepower slants,) a stock exhaust manifold with only one outlet could hurt power-output a lot... especially on engines boosted to 28 pounds, like these are.

But, I guess we'll have to wait until somebody gets a highly-modified engine with a PISHTA Pipe,on a dyno or a drag strip, before we know anthing for sure...

In the meantime, I won't make any serious bets on being right on this... :banghead:

Attachments

• pishta.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 204
  • js640_100_3490.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 172
So the build has taken a turn I've been looking for some tight radius 1.75 schedule 40 pipe bends and found them with sharpe products just gotta call and order what I need. Been in the hospital with the baby the last week or so and did research
Now I also sold the 70 dart and bought a really nice 72 scamp with a 318 auto and now I'm focusing all my attention on building my 74 into a lightweight straight line tire burner it's not the nicest car so I don't mind cutting it up a little as my 70 was just too original to do that so I'm going with a cage mini tubs and a 60 rearend so instead of messing around I'm going all in it will still be street legal but not sure how street-able it will be plus my 74 has electronic ignition a manual box no ac so I'm gonna use that to my advantage. So stay tuned

-
Back