70 duster hood pops up on the drivers side when I install the hood release spring

-

Scott Clark

Reaction score
Hello, been messing with this for about six hours, I aligned the hood and adjusted the rubber bumpers without the latch pop up spring, see picture. and the hood laid flat resting on the bummers on either side. The latch closed and everything looked good.
Then I installed the spring, and the driver side pops up about a 1/4 of inch.
I lost the original spring and got a new one from classic industries, I got the hood to close and line up right, but I had to heat the spring and removed some of the travel.
Ordered another spring and made sure everything was correct before I installed it and I have the same problem.
Anybody have this problem? I’m stumped.

Thanks Scott

IMG_6546 (002).jpg

Check the brace going to the lower rad support from the hood latch and make sure it is secure with no cracks. Adjust your latch down farther to hold the hood down while under tension from the spring.

Or the latching mechanism has play. Check the other half as well for worn section. That spring is strong but not “overcome the latch,” strong.

Check the brace going to the lower rad support from the hood latch and make sure it is secure with no cracks. Adjust your latch down farther to hold the hood down while under tension from the spring.
Thanks, I removed and inspected it yesterday, all looks good, tried the latch adjustment with no luck.

Thanks for the response.

Or the latching mechanism has play. Check the other half as well for worn section. That spring is strong but not “overcome the latch,” strong.
I don't see any play in the latch, I thought this was going to be the fun part, I did take the fenders off but everything looks correct on the installation. lined the hood up with the cowl it was level and the gap looks good. The spring is very strong, thinking that the aftermarket spring is junk? anyway going to put the radiator back in and go with the modified spring for now.
thanks for the help.

One thing to remember is the center grille support fastened to the lower rad support also controls the height of the hood. If the latch is adjusted down and out of adjustment. The lower Radiator support bent up or the support itself bent could hold the hood up.

-
Back