'70 stock 318 BBD- Good Alternative Replacement Carb?

-

Robj

Reaction score
I had another recent thread regarding my BBD woes:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=211064

I know these carbs are pretty persnickety having had several in the past. In 1977 I replaced one on a '72 Satellite with a Holley 2bbl.

I'm about to give up on this one that I've spent the weekend fooling with.

Currently are there any decent aftermarket carbs that I can replace this BBD with? I realize I could be opening a discussion akin to "are blonds better than brunettes or redheads" but I'd like to look at some alternatives.

It would go on my '70 Swinger with a bone stock 318 that I use as my daily driver. I'd like to keep at least my current engine performance and fuel mileage which is 16-17mpg mixed driving.

Thanks everyone.

I dont think the Holley 2bbls bolt up to the carter 2bbl intakes do they ?

I had the same problem with my daughter's 1974 Dart Custom 318 as what you described in your other thread. I ended up adjusting the step up piston little by little until the carb performed under all conditions. I wrote down my starting position of the adjusting screw and then noted which way I turned it and how much and what the result was.
It took me a lot of fiddling around with it (it was an off the shelf reconditioned carb) until I was satisfied.

A little while later, my daughter ran the car into a utility pole and bent the floors and A-pillar so bad I had to get rid of the car. But the carb was adjusted! LOL

Get an Edlebrock intake and put a 4 barrel on it.

Holley 2280. Similar style to BBD. Bolts on. Used by Mopar on many 76' and later 318s and some 2B \6.

-
Back