70 Swinger Dash Question

-

70SwingerGuy

Reaction score
Im sure the dash I have in my car is for a 71+ car because it has the turn knob radio, and not the thumbwheel. So the question is, did a 70 every come factory with a turn turn knob style radio? I dont think it did, but I was wrong once before.... :)

IIRC, the rally dash is thumbwheel, regular dash is knob.....at least in the Plymouth Duster version.

Rallye dash? In the 30 years I have been paying attention I have never seen a 70 340 Swinger with a knob radio. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen! There was a 1970 340 Swinger on BAT a while ago that had a rallye dash with a knob radio.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1970-dodge-dart-swinger-2/

That BAT car had a late June build date, so I was thinking that perhaps they ran out of 1970 Dart dashes and just started using 1971 Demon dashes. But I saw someone mention in the comments that his was built the day before and has a thumbwheel radio, so who knows.

340 cars, Rally dash and thumbwheel radios. 318 and slant 6 cars, standard dash and knob radios. Things changed in 71 so I have heard. We just discussed this in a radio thread.

It looks like the question is exactly when did the changeover occur? Sometimes it's not with the model year change.

Since Ive had my dash bezel out, Ive discovered that my dash frame was/is built for a thumbwheel, some previous owner butchered it to put in a knob style. I guess I either have to find a proper replacement frame, or get someone to do some welding to my existing one, which in itself may be very difficult when I dont know how the proper frame is supposed to look, like I said, mine is butchered up behind the bezel so I cant tell :mad:

The frames were also different between 70 thumbwheel and 71 knob radio. You will find a knob style ralleye dash and frame in a performance dart, duster or demon in 71. If you put add on here for 71 ralleye dash you should find one. The change over in radio style happened in cars after June 1970. July 1970 is the first month of the new year body styles. 71 bodies start in July 1970. Still true with vehicles to this day. July is start of new model year.

I have a 70. Ralleye dash and frame but not 71. What is build date for your car. Located on tag with serial number in drivers door jam.

I have a 70 Dart Custom, a 70 Dart Swinger and a 70 Dart GT - they are all originally 318 cars so no rallye dash - long standard speedo. All these cars came from the factory with knob radios.

IMG_1153.JPG
IMG_1976.JPG
DSC04752.JPG

Troy, @CFD244 may have a dash from a Demon, if it's the same.
Since Ive had my dash bezel out, Ive discovered that my dash frame was/is built for a thumbwheel, some previous owner butchered it to put in a knob style. I guess I either have to find a proper replacement frame, or get someone to do some welding to my existing one, which in itself may be very difficult when I dont know how the proper frame is supposed to look, like I said, mine is butchered up behind the bezel so I cant tell :mad:

-
Back