71 Duster Fuel vent

-
Does anyone know how this was resolved? And how it went?

I would ignore most of this thread. A bodies did not ever use what we think of as a "vented" cap. None evap controlled cars up through somewhere around 71ish (might have been a split year) were vented with a non vented cap and a tube welded into the top of the filler neck. Look up a 69--70--71 shop manual over at MyMopar and read it. The evap controlled cars CHANGED almost every year. There is a "famous" photo running around this board of the changes in what are called "pressure vacuum" caps over the years. There is a BUNCH of them. Pressure vacuum caps are NOT VENTED in the usual sense. They are designed simply to relieve excess pressure or vacuum in the tank. THE VENTING on evap controlled cars is through the evap control mechanism, and the key feature is the 1/4" tube going from the tank to the engine bay. THIS IS the fuel tank vent.

If you want to circumvent this (eliminate it) I would look up the 69/ earlier vent system and duplicate it

having the same problem?
Yes Sir. I have a 74 Duster. Finally got it running and was having ghost fuel problems. Would run great in the driveway lol. Drive a 1/4 to a mile then run outta gas. Changed the little rubber hose from tank to fuel line. Ran for a little while ( about 2 miles) then the same. Put a new fuel pump on. No change. Got a new fuel tank, new sending unit, going to bend up new engine to tank line. Just concerned about the tank venting. Not sure how to plumb it

like 67Dart273 was saying, they made a lot of changes in a short time frame. here's the vent system for 74'.

Untitled.png

Ok! Wow. Thank you both! Looks to me like I'm going to do the 1969 model I'll just have to figure out how to get a nipple onto my filler tube. I don't have that strange can in the front of my car and it's not a numbers car. So the cleanest, easiest, down and dirty approach. Man, you guys are great. THANK YOU!

showing this as an example. 69' dart filler. you can remove yours and add a nipple to the vent tube, then run the line up as high as possible, then down though a plug in the floor, factory style.
Untitled.png

generic pic from 68' manual...
Untitled2.png

mine with a Tanks Inc roll over valve scabbed on
DSC01441.JPG

stock from MonkeyMadness' build
20200523_152147.jpg

Ok. Now I seem to be getting the picture! Lol! I'm a Carpenter by trade so all of those pics really help me visualize what needs to happen I've had a bunch of Mopars, just never had to deal with this before. I really appreciate your time and effort posting those pics. I guess I could grab some tube and bend it up. There is a welding shop a few blocks away. The guy has a few signs of Mopar love around. I'll grab a nipple and see if he will hook me up....

-
Back