72 Dart no turn signals or hazards

-

smlblk318

Reaction score
Hazards and turn signals were functional before I changed my instrument cluster. Now neither one are working. Installed an intellitronix unit and followed the instructions to the letter. Any idea on what would cause this? Hazard flasher is stock and turn signal flasher is heavy duty electronic unit for LED. All exterior lights were LED before the swap and dash is now LED as well. I'm going to reach out to them on Monday but would like to get it functional before that.

Nobody will probably be able to give you a direct answer. Not the answer you want, trust me I know. You will get lots of ideas about where to start, but your going to have to put the work in.

From experience......and it started with my aftermarket gauges as well....... get your volt meter out, print out the electrical diagram, and start following your hot wires, turn signals, connectors from steering column to 8 or 11 pin connectors, turn signal cam/housing wires, to turn signal / hazard flasher relays, check grounds, check fuses, check lights, and then double check. . .

I just did my dash and it has been a domino effect of electrical gremlins. I've pulled my steering wheel off twice. I've found burnt wires from the past, bad grounds, horrible pin/connectors, bad light fixtures that don't make contact with light nipples, ....... and more.

I am doing it right now and once you get knee deep in that $hit you will know how to do it later. I am beyond frustrated with my wiring, but I now have the diagram printed, labeled, and can follow any wire path from hot wire to light, and back, and now know where my problems are. It is still not easy but I can do it.

I would start with finding where the turn signal and hazard relays both connect or can be influenced by one problem. They should be 2 different relays with 2 different jobs. Check your wire diagrams..... somebody will post a link for the 72 plymouth shop manual. Print the pages - dont be intimidated. It is like trying to get out of a maze with a pencil on the back of a cereal box. When you hit a dead end, follow a different wire, and repeat until you find were the problem makes sense.

My 2 cents - ditch the LED's - they made my life harder.

I know one day we will look at this car and forget all this frustration...... right?

Last edited:
My 2 cents - ditch the LED's - they made my life harder.
Almost wish I could....like I said they worked before swapping out the instrument cluster. And to go backwards is a chore unto itself as people want an arm and a leg plus your first born for an OEM cluster.

Almost wish I could....like I said they worked before swapping out the instrument cluster. And to go backwards is a chore unto itself as people want an arm and a leg plus your first born for an OEM cluster.
Look at my 72 page. I get it. I ditched the stock everything and went aftermarket panel and Autometer gauges. I pulled my old dash multiple times to stay stock. Wasn't worth my time. I bought a new dash and spent 3 days putting it in and taking it out, trying to make sense of my situation. In frustration I scratched my bran new panel. Frustrated to angry. But I got it. I am happy I replaced it.

Nothing I am dealing with now is directly related. It is still electrical suck! But, I am better for my bloody hands and knuckles.

Get through this and you will earn the A body electrical gremlin badge of honor.

This should be the 72 shop manual. I want to say the wire diagram for our cars is on page 389 or something close.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

Last edited:
I've got a shop manual and a huge color coded diagram, still stumped tho. When activating the signals with the flashers that functioned before the new cluster install, the rear lights will light up (no flash) but the front will not.(There's nothing) Put OEM flasher back in (just happened to have one) and all lights light up as they should. They just don't flash. I'm wondering if I have to install resistors due to the system being 100% LED now. I'll start fresh again tomorrow and trace everything and hope I have some luck.

Get through this and you will earn the A body electrical gremlin badge of honor.
And so I did with the help of 2 of these little guys with polarity reversing adapters.

Screenshot_20240916-034819.png

-
Back