72 dart w/17" wheels. What problems?

-

MOA

Reaction score
72 dart swinger, came with 318/904/7.25 rear end. Front disc brakes, sbp.
Planning on using 17"-8 f 17"-9 rear. Bullit rims.
Stock width 8.75" rear end. LBP
3/4 (1/2") leaf relocation. Car lowered slightly in front, stock height rear.
Hoping to stuff 275/40/17 under the rear. 285s if I can make em fit without mini tub. Will mini tub of there's enough gain to make it worth it. Fabricating and welding not a problem.
Unsure about the front.
Converting front over to 5-4.5 bolt pattern
Sway bars front and rear.
Intended use is a street car, handling being primary focus but aggressively geared with 3.91 rear end. Trans will have a high stall.
Long term, planning on a GVOD so the 3.91 won't be as much of an issue cruising.

What are the problems and what are the solutions?

I expect to some cutting and hammering front and back.

Having the springs moved in will help. With the stock width rear end, you'll have to figure out what size spacer you'll need to counter the deep backspace.
The only other issue might be tie rod end interference, depending on the inner lip of the wheel.

Thanks.
There so much info to wade thru, even using the search function it's a lot of stuff to sift thru.

And of course every car is different, every application is slightly different.

72 dart swinger, came with 318/904/7.25 rear end. Front disc brakes, sbp.
Planning on using 17"-8 f 17"-9 rear. Bullit rims.
Stock width 8.75" rear end. LBP
3/4 (1/2") leaf relocation. Car lowered slightly in front, stock height rear.
Hoping to stuff 275/40/17 under the rear. 285s if I can make em fit without mini tub. Will mini tub of there's enough gain to make it worth it. Fabricating and welding not a problem.
Unsure about the front.
Converting front over to 5-4.5 bolt pattern
Sway bars front and rear.
Intended use is a street car, handling being primary focus but aggressively geared with 3.91 rear end. Trans will have a high stall.
Long term, planning on a GVOD so the 3.91 won't be as much of an issue cruising.

What are the problems and what are the solutions?

I expect to some cutting and hammering front and back.
I am planning 3.91 gears as well. What is GVOD?

Ok, i was talking to a guy tonight that has 3.23 in his road runner, he says 3.91 will be no good on the highway.

I was set on 3.91 but now not so sure.

Other fourm members on here said it should be no prob....

Ok, i was talking to a guy tonight that has 3.23 in his road runner, he says 3.91 will be no good on the highway.

I was set on 3.91 but now not so sure.

Other fourm members on here said it should be no prob....

3:91 gears suck big moose **** on the highway.. even with a 28" tire... a 3.23 gear is a great all around gear.. everything is gonna be a compromise somewhere along the way.. figure out exactly what you want in the end and build towards that,

make sure when you are buying this "high" stall converter you make it well known that you will be running and OD unit when done..

3:91 gears suck big moose **** on the highway.. even with a 28" tire... a 3.23 gear is a great all around gear.. everything is gonna be a compromise somewhere along the way.. figure out exactly what you want in the end and build towards that,
Hahahahahaha. Moose c. Never heard that in a while....

I will be on th highay maybe 10% of the time if that...

I can handle the shaking and noise I think with the 3.91...

Or will th engine explode?..

Is this accurate?..
image.jpeg

looks about right.. but when i'm on the highway i'm never going that slow... i'm usually at about 75mph so it would wind up to 3600 rpm.. that blows..

had 3:91 gears in my yellow dar for years.. was awesome around town.. drove me nuts on the highway... 3.55 gears made it better but i still wasn't happy.. went 2.94 gear and loved them... jamies dart will be getting 3.23 gears soon hopefully... cruised to deleware yesterday in the dart.. doing 85mph i was getting passed liek i was standing still. lol.

Don't forget convertor slip adding 200-300 rpm.

An overdrive brings a car into the current century.
Being able to pur right along with traffic at around 2000-2400rpm is way more fun than turning a useless 3200+ rpm and still being overtaken by every old fart and his dog in their fkn Priuisiii.

-
Back