72 demon core support

-

fanboatman

Mopar nut
Reaction score
I started taking my demon apart and found out that when the p.o. tried to move it he not only tore up the lower valance, but also the core support. It is messed up pretty bad on the bottom from the left framerail to the middle. Is it possible to change the core support? If so, how hard and does it have to be from a demon? I might be able to fix it, it will just take many hours as it is torn, twisted, and ripped from the frame. What would be my best option?

get a grinder and find all the spot welds and begin drilling them out thats the only way to do it right

As a general rule, all A-bodies from 67-76 share the same front unibody, however there may be subtle differences in mounting locations (not really sure on this). If you are doing this, you may want to re-use the upper portion as it contains your VIN stampings and is sometimes used to verify the body matches the dash VIN#.

Grant

as long as you stick with a 71-72 demon a 71-76 duster or a 73-76 dart sport you should be in great shape we will be doing a core support swap on my dads duster in the months to come keep me updated and I will keep you updated lets get the job done

Core supports are basically the same from 67-76, minor differences.

Select one based on the size of your radiator 22 or 26".

Thanks for the info. I will try to find a car to get one from. Since all of the damage is on the lower half could I do as Oneofmany said and cut the lower half of the core off mine and the donor and weld the new piece in? Would there be any drawbacks?

tip - look for a 70-72 Dart or Demon lower support - there are 2 little tabs on it to mount the valance. As far as I know, Dusters don' have them - at least my 73 doesn't.

tip - look for a 70-72 Dart or Demon lower support - there are 2 little tabs on it to mount the valance. As far as I know, Dusters don' have them - at least my 73 doesn't.

That is correct, same as the little bracket on the trunk pan at the rear. you can always transfer them.

You can replace just the lower half if need be. The yoke is two pieces.

here is a pic
GetAttachment.aspx

here's another. It's worse than it looks because it is twisted, otherwise I would just put it back in place and weld it.
GetAttachment.aspx

-
Back