72 Duster Hood scoop fit

-

oldirish

Reaction score
Guys

Need your advice.

Looks like I need to build up the mounting edge of the part to fill in the gap with the hood.

Any ideas on how to do this?

IMG_20240906_133802529.jpg

IMG_20240906_133749811.jpg

IMG_20240906_133739330.jpg

That is the worst example of a snorkel scoop I have ever seen. A 73 Dart Sport scoop fits without any mod to a 1969-1972 Valiant/Duster hood. There are some nice repop scoops out there . That is definitely not one of them. I have seen them on some cars and they are smaller in size then the factory scoops. Here are a pictures of a factory 73 style on my Dusters.

I just got another hood given to me with a 72 style scoop mounted last week with a collection of parts. They cut the lower piece to fit the hood but to far. I have that hood on Face book if you want to see how they cut it.

On my Duster hoods I copy the Demon placement for the correct placement for the holes in the inner panel. This puts all the studs in the correct location. The first picture the bottom scoop is a 73 style as are the scoops on the cars.

My unmolested scoops are not for sale.

DSCN1651 (2).JPG

DSCN1653.JPG

100_0006 (2).JPG

100_0005 (2).JPG

DSCN2530.JPG

New pics 374 - Copy.jpg

dus2.jpg

That scoop you have looks like it might have been cut. The scoop should have the couture of the ridge in the center of the hood. The only way to get that scoop you have to fit it glassing it to a glass hood. Find one that is not molested

Yep, you want help, and got a little, but also got information, people can be hash but true..
Ok, help I will, since its a bad repop, and not going to hurt a thing doing anything to it.

First, how to attach it, and have it stay in place....hmm. time to test the fiber glass tools out and attach studs in it ..wait, is this a fiber glass scoop ? Or a cheese plastic? How thick is the glass around the edges?

Glass in stud bolts in all corners and centers, I would say 8.

Grind out the front to set one the the hood around front (not an easy job.)

Scoop will be on but setting much lower.

I will watch this thread foe replies

Do they make a re-pop scoop that is already cut out in the middle for the earlier hood? I think so. That scoop will be tough to mount. I did one on a later Duster hood and had to file the sides to make it lay flat

Did you put the studs in yet. Good luck with that. Seen one damage the front of the roof at 70 mph.
Well, my little brother and I did this kind of install nearly 22 years ago, 73 dodge sport. He burned up the roads between Arkansas and Hell & noise! = Illinois, And to Florida a couple time, bad weather and stade in place, but he and I (him mostly) was Body and paint men , hours of schooling and he had 28 years of business..

Do they make a re-pop scoop that is already cut out in the middle for the earlier hood? I think so. That scoop will be tough to mount. I did one on a later Duster hood and had to file the sides to make it lay flat
There are 2 different OEM and aftermarket replacement scoops like that. One has a pretty flat base and was available for 1972 Demons (Also fit '70-'71 Dart & Demon). The other has a slight rise in the front/middle of the scoop available for 1973/1974 Dart Sports to fit their distinct contour (Also '75-'76 Dart/Sport & '69 Barracuda.)

Any other hood application would be custom or choose the closest OEM base. (i.e.: 1972 Demon base was close and best fit for 1973 - 1976 Dusters.) AAR, now Stinger Fiberglass, made custom units for differently contoured hoods but don't take orders anymore.

Thanks for the input. I plan to tape up the lower edge then add fiberglass to fill the gaps.

Shouldn't be too bad, I've worked with fiberglass on the past.

I'll make sure to use fender washers under the hood.

I'd cut the center contour of the hood into the front edge of the scoop. Once you have the front sitting flat to the hood you can see where else you might have to change the contour of the scoop to fit flush against the hood.
I had a real Mopar part number scoop that I "adjusted" to fit the center rib on my 62 savoy. I used it cause I had it.
If I had known what a real scoop was worth, I would have sold it and bought a whole glass hood with a scoop with the proceeds!

-
Back