72 Scamp Lower Column Bearing

-

DJones942013

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of rebuilding the steering column in my Scamp and I am converting the car from column shift to floor. I have looked at every parts catalog I could find online and can not find a lower bearing for a column shift, just floor shift. I also have searched the post here trying to see if anyone has made this switched and I have come up empty handed. My biggest question is, are column shift and floor shift columns the same minus the shift tube in mine and will the reproduction floor shift lower bearing work in mine without the shift tube? Or is there another way to accomplish and over come this issue? Thanks in advance!

There is some kick *** info on using a lower cost, much better commercially available bearing in these pages. Maybe try conversion bearing in the search bar here? I don't have the best luck w/ it.

No bearing just a foam seal.

DSCN1246.JPG

DSCN1247.JPG

DSCN1248.JPG

DSCN1249.JPG

DSCN1252.JPG

DSCN1253.JPG

DSCN1254.JPG

DSCN1261.JPG

In my ‘72 Demon, 4 speed I used
a flange bearing ER16 that I got from John Deere.
1” ID , 52 MM OD. IIRC I needed to snug up the column tube slightly.
Yote

Did you convert your column from column shift to floor shift or was your car factory floor shift? I found a foam seal in mine but is was farther up on the steering shaft. Very possible it moved up there on disassembly. Is there somewhere that reproduces the foam seal and plastic ring?

It was column shift changed to floor shift. Doing another car right now from auto on column to 4 speed,

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN1572.JPG

-
Back